Wedding Idea?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TryingTrumpet, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    OK...do you REALLY want this?

ps
    This was NOT Trickg!

2. TryingTrumpet

TryingTrumpet New Friend

Apr 21, 2010
    Thanks everyone for all the comments & feedback - many points to consider....

I have considered what will happen if I don't pull it off... :thumbdown:

But I am hoping to get a solid OK from my instructor if I do go thru with it

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
  4. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    Hi, TT!

If you think you can play something appropriate for your wedding and pull it off, I'd say go for it. You don't claim to be a seasoned pro, so I wouldn't reccomend that you borrow someone's picc a week before the big day and expect to play the snot out of the Clarke Voluntary, or the Stanley, or whatever. However, if you can play something appropriate, like a hymn, or love song, or the like, something well within your ability, that you can reliably play at home without the pressure of the wedding on you, why not?

I played the prelude and processional at my first wedding. My bride and I played a duet (she on flute) in the middle of the service, and it was fine. In fact, the playing helped calm my nerves, as I've played hundreds of OTHER peoples weddings. It made it seem like something I'd done a hundred times before! All in all, it went fine. Too bad the marriage didn't go as well :-/.

My second and final wedding was held at a pizza restaurant, so there wasn't an easy way to do live music, so instead, I played recordings of the bands and orchestras my bride and I played in (it helps to be the recording engineer!!!) for prelude and postlude (and lunch) music. Since most of the guests also played in at least one of the groups featured, everybody was happy!

Bottom line: Do it if you can, but DON'T if you aren't sure!

that's MY opinion!

Guy Clark

5. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    Ok, I just watched/listened to those two videos. The less said, the better!!

So, how many here would have jumped up on stage and grabbed the horn out of the poor slob's hand and played it better?

A show of hands, please....

Hmmm.. I thought so!!

;-)

Guy

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Wow. I didn't have a chance to see the vids earlier due to being behind a firewall. Point taken.

For me, it was a no-brainer, but at that point I was playing my trumpet for a living...more or less - there were some other guys in the band who weren't quite where I was, hence the reason I didn't really want to entrust it to anyone else in the band.

Maybe I was a bit quick to say, "go for it." Discretion might be the better part of valor. :-)

7. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I don't understand your question/point. Are you asking if I would have done anything other than offer applause after those performances? No, that would have been inappropriate and rude. The performances were still real bad, but being rude about it wouldn't help.

If you're asking if anyone COULD have done better, then the answer is obviously yes.

For what it's worth, I didn't post the video link to make fun of anyone, I just wanted to highlight what could go wrong if someone tries to bite off too much too soon...particularly at a very important event like a wedding.

8. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    I think he meant it as a joke.

9. TryingTrumpet

TryingTrumpet New Friend

Apr 21, 2010
    Thanks for all the responses.... These were the type comments I was looking for - people who may have experienced or done something similar.

So, it seems like I'll mostly likely abandon the idea..... Any thoughts on doing something at the reception?

10. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    The Reception?

Sure...go for it!

The party is different from the ceremony, have fun with it!