Wedding Idea?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TryingTrumpet, Apr 27, 2010.

1. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    In my opinion the reception is a much better place for something like this. I've been to (and been part of) lots of weddings where the bride and/or groom coordinates something fun and personal. The reception is your party, so even a weak but well intentioned performance will usually be very appreciated by your family and friends...particularly later on after everyone has been to the bar a few times.

2. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    I second that. I had a band in Chicago that specialized in wedding receptions. There were always grooms and guests sitting in, usually on a vocal in the second or third set.

3. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    Hey GB!

I was making a joke, at the expense of the rather famous trumpet players' ego. You know, like the one that says: when a trumpet player greets another, what he means is "Hi, I'm better than you!".

Don't you ever listen to another player and think "Wow, I can play better than that?" If not, maybe you're really a cornettist ;-) That's how my trumpet/cornet playing wife and I get along so well... she's really a cornettist at heart!

Guy ...tiptoeing out of the room before the storm breaks...

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Do the reception!!!! Pick an old standard and solo with the band. Something ROMANTIC!!!

veery

5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Like "The lady is a tramp"? :bleah:

6. gjarrell

gjarrell New Friend

Feb 24, 2010
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Back in on this...Your wedding day is an emotional day, particularly for your wife. She's extremely worried that something, anything, the least little thing is going to go wrong and ruin the perfect day. She's been involved stem to stern in planning it. Lose your ego and eagerness to show off or "enhance" the day. Keep the ceremony and reception dignified in a manner that the occasion requires. Think of the photos as a permanent record - that record should be timeless. Your appearance and behavior needs to be timeless in order to achieve that outcome. Leave the performances to the hired hands - they can be emotionally detached and professional. Doctors are not allowed to treat their relatives or spouses because they need emotional detachment for the exercise of sound judgment. Your risk of failure is great. You'll never know what was thought or said to others and not to you simply because you departed from convention. Your guests will be polite, on their best behavior. Spare them the burden of trying to be nice in the face of poor judgment and behavior on your part. You can still have plenty of fun.

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    This is an interesting side note to the discussion. I play receptions for a couple of dozen weddings a year, and it seems to me that the weddings that are the worst parties are the ones where the bride and bride's mom are trying to rule the event with an iron fist, and they have the schedule set in stone, down to the minute almost. Unfortunately when you look at an event like a wedding, it's rare that you don't have to roll with the changes for something that doesn't quite go as planned - usually it's that they put the caterer on too tight of a timeline and they can't get the dinner served as quickly as what was scheduled, so it throws things off.

On the flip side of that, when the bride and bride's family are more laid back and they allow for more flexibility in the day's events, no one gets too bent if something doesn't go completely according to plan, and those are the weddings that are the most fun. I'm still trying to determine if it's a general mindset that is micro-cultural to the wedding guests, or if it's simply a matter where everyone feels a bit more relaxed because they aren't being such sticklers, and therefore the attitude becomes contagious for all involved.

So, my advice to you is to not worry so much about whether the day is going to be perfect because it won't be, and if you set your sights on that goal you are likely to be disappointed. There are just too many variables.

Now, back to this playing thing - I've done many weddings where the bride, groom, bridesmaids, bridesmaids+bride, groomsmen, groomsment+groom, etc, have asked to perform with the band - usually to sing a song, but in one case the groom played guitar and actually played and sang with the band. Every time that has happened, while the end result has run the range from really bad to pretty good, it enhanced the party and was definitely something that would be remembered by the wedding party and guests.

So - maybe the ceremony isn't the best time to play something, but I think that the reception is fair game.

8. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I recorded the first dances the week before I got married as a special gift to my wife. This allowed me to add my special musical touches to the wedding without really interfering with the impact of the special day.

We did also have a jam session where I played one quick tune with the band during the cocktail hour.

9. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    Discretion IS the better part of Valour! :roll:

I guess it depends upon how confident you are. Playing my own wedding worked for me, but as I said, I'd been playing weddings for money for many years prior to doing my own. :cool:

In the end, it should probably be your bride's decision. The wedding day is traditionally "the bride's day". Once you're married, you're in charge!

ROFL

Guy

10. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    How about if we make a list of songs NOT to play on your wedding day?
    1. Taps