Wedding Music

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Patric_Bernard, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    So My brother has just given me the honor of being able to play at his wedding. Which songs should I look into playing? (He's not a classical fan or anything so he doesnt know song titles or any of that)

I was thinking Bach's "Man's Desire" - I'm not sure if thats the name, but you guys probably know what I'm talking about.

What other charts would you guys reccomend?

2. Jude

Jude Piano User

Dec 2, 2007
    Take a look at: Trumpet Basic Lesson on How to Play the Trumpet Practice 30 60 90 Minutes Maximize Efficiently where THE ULTIMATE WARM-UP for TRUMPET is offered -
    "New Music Added to Chapter 9:
    Piano And Trumpet
    1. Bridal Chorus from Lohengrin - Richard Wagner
    2. Rondeau Theme from Masterpiece Theater - Jean Mouret
    3. Wedding March - Felix Mendelssohn
    4. Trumpet Voluntary - Henry Purcell
    5. Trumpet Tune - Henry Purcell"

I think these are all supposed to be considered suitable for weddings, but somebody else may know better. (Ran across this last night - there's also a download with all the scales in one place.)

3. FaithfulPastor

FaithfulPastor New Friend

Jul 19, 2007
    The piece you're asking about is:
    Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring

Since you don't sound really familiar with this piece, the first word in the title is pronounced Yea-soo. It looks like Jesus missing the last "s", but i promise it's "yea-soo".

Congratulations on being asked to play.

I recently played Coming Home (Going Home) is it's common name. Actually its Dvorak's-New World Symphony. Maybe the most beautiful piece of music I have ever played in a symphony. It's a nice piece with a piano accompanyment.

4. MrWho3421

MrWho3421 Pianissimo User

Jun 1, 2006
    my wedding book has everything you could need.

osCommerce

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Some good choices posted already! Be sure to consider the actual programing--it can be kind of embarrassing for the bride and groom to stand forever during a five minute processional. If playing the traditional procession, communion (or meditative) piece and recessional consider the following:

1. A flashy yet idiot-proof processional, short, maybe 1 to 2 minutes. You might have to shorten.

2. A pretty adagio or ballad for meditative music. If playing a non-classical piece please consider the spiritual implications of the title and lyrics.

3. A majestic recessional, with planned-out optional repeats so everyone gets to leave to music.

The comment about being "idiot-proof" applies to all the pieces, actually. Weddings are hard work, with lots of standing around yet ready to play going on, tons of tension in the air (not just excitement), and long periods with nothing to do. Try not to over-extend yourself, and bring some business cards.

Have fun!

6. Patric_Bernard

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    Oooo... business cards are a great idea haha... I expect it to be like a graduation.. except harder music :D

7. Patric_Bernard

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    Ok yeah "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" I've played it before... just couldn't remember the name of the piece. I think its on Smart Music too

8. patdublc

patdublc Pianissimo User

Jul 20, 2006
    Salisbury, MD
    I agree with AK - his book is excellent.

Also, make sure that you understand if the accompanist can actually get the job done. I've been stranded a couple of times with an accompanist who quit playing before the processional was over and I had to finish alone. Not good. I use contracts now that specify that I must approve who the accompanist.

Make sure that the official conducting the ceremony approves of the music ahead of time. This is especially true in Catholic services where some dioceses have a "do not play" list. The Wedding March (Mendelssohn) is sometime forbidden because it comes from the story of a prostitute in A Midsummer Night's Dream.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Make sure that the processional is in even time like 2/4 or 4/4. A 3/4 beat is great for a waltz, but not to march in with.

I am not a big fan of the Lohengrin Wedding march or the Mendelssohn Midsummernights Dream one either. I am not superstitious, but have you read the story behind these tunes?

Purcell Trumpet Voluntary or Trumpet Tune are also very good, but a bit overplayed!

Telemann has a series of 12 Heroic Marches that are excellent. With titles like "Honor", "Grace", "Joy", they provide the proper sound and musical context for wishing somebody all the best for a life together!

Music can be found:
    http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/cgi-bin/show_score.pl?scoreid=51469
    and here:

Werner Icking Music Archive: Georg Philipp Telemann
    In German, this is called Heldenmusik. You will have to combine the 3 string parts for the organ

10. Patric_Bernard

Oct 25, 2007
    California

Ok awesome... I'll have a look at those. I'm not sure how many people he's gonna have playing. I can't imagine it wont be alot because there not very rich haha. If he does choose to have another person playing I will try to have him get a piano/orgeon player of some type.