Wedge Breathing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by chrisryche, Jun 26, 2013.

1. chrisryche

chrisryche New Friend

Oct 26, 2009
    Starke, FL
    Assuming you guys know what wedge breathing is, have you tried it? Do you use it? How does it work for you? I have been working with it for several weeks and don't seem to be reaping any benefits from it, unless I am doing something wrong.

2. bach37

bach37 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2011
    I just take a breath, clench my butt cheeks together and rip it! (True Story) (My heads in the sound) My body will take the correct breath to achieve the sound I want to accomplish.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Isn't that where you grab your underware real tight, pull up on it abrubtly with your left hand while you hold the trumpet in the right hand, and then go for the high notes. Yeah, I tried that. Didn't do much for my range, but I am definitely speaking in a higher voice!:oops:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Would NOT want to be around if Kingtrumpet tried this...:noway: I am afraid he would get your instructions wrong, and really rip it!:twisted:

5. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    [​IMG]

6. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    Check spelling he said wedge.............. not weddgy :shhh:

Dean_0

7. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    Tell Bobby Shew et al that wedge breathing is snake oil.

I use it, and it works for me. I kick in with it above high C. In and of iteself it doesn't give me any range, but it helps me supercharge and focus my compressed air. It is a facilitator though, and does not compensate for bad habits.

8. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    Post # 7 and still no idea of what it is yet ? :shock: or where you afraid of the ,well i guess you know :D

Dean_0

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The idea of the "wedge" is that after the full breath we pull the bellybutton towards the spine, as if driving it in like a wedge. Once again it is is symptom thingy as opposed to a cause thingy.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Sounds like you're getting closer to my underwear theory.