Wedge Breathing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by chrisryche, Jun 26, 2013.

1. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    This is a little off topic. I have watched a bunch of various musicians breath while they are playing. With every one of them you can see the rib cage expand, causing the chest to rise. Just as they start to play the chest drops slightly and their abs come in. I believe this energizes the air stream. I've been told by a lot of teachers never to drop the chest. But it happens. I guess they mean don't play with a collapsed chest. Anyway, I view this as my own little version of wedge breathing. I used it last school year with my middle school kids. Showed them the rib cage expanding and the abs coming out upon inspiration, and then the abs going in and the chest dropping down just as they start to play. Last year my kids had the best sound I've ever been able to achieve with middle school kids. Big, focused, robust. Judges commented on the "mature" sound.

2. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    Of course I know what it is, as I said, I use it, in fact, at home somewhere I believe I still have the document that outlines how Bobby Shew prescibes it.

The OP didn't ask what it is, just if any of us used it and whether or not we saw any benefit.

3. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Its a great deal more effective if you grab one's underwear unawares.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Is that what is meant by tweaking one's sound?:dontknow:

5. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    A great deal less pain than sounding one's tweak.

6. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    I stand corrected. I am the most on topic poster on this thread.

7. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I've looked at the wedge breath some, but I've had more important areas to put my time into. My friend, however (lead player), tried it after I asked him to. Results were actually quite impressive for him -- he was able to more consistently play double C, and his high A-B's were also easier for him. It could be placebo, but for him, at least, it worked quite well. It seems logical, at least

8. fels

fels Piano User

Jun 8, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    Reviewing this thread - it is one of the things i dislike about the TM cadre - a serious, legitimate question receives mostly SNL type responses.

9. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I didn't realise this was a zombie thread until I read your post. What does "SNL" stand for? I haven't been aware of "wedge breathing" before either, so either it isn't really that important, or is, but under-appreciated. Apart from VB's description of what it is I'm not sure I really know what it is now either, but it does sound as if it is different to what I've been advised.

--bumblebee

10. fels

fels Piano User

Jun 8, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    SNL is shorthand for Saturday Night Live.

I was researching "Wedge Breathing." I had a lesson from a reputable lead player in a nationally recognized group. Among other subjects relating to Lead Playing, we discussed upper range building and control. He noticed that I was breathing from the bottom (diaphram fill and push) - the way i was taught in the 60s. He suggested more effective use of air by filling the chest and using the upper abdominal and chest muscled groups to push the air. He referred to this as a Wedge. I have read of "wedge breathing" in other venues. I am curious about what this forum's experience is. I have read a bit about yoga breathing and circle of breath etc. i wanted context not comedy.