Wee zee and high notes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by frankmike, Jul 31, 2010.

1. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    Hi, when I practice I usually practice with open horn, but sometimes I cannot do that and I use wee zee for practice. My range on open horn is up to high C although I can hit even high E, but I seldom go there, only when I slur during warm-up.

Now my range with wee zee is around E and I can hit G on the staff sometimes, but it sounds very weak, so it is half an octave loss. Is it normal? Or do I have range problems?

2. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    What's wee zee?

Have you changed anything in how you play lately? got a new mouthpiece? anything like that?

Did you not practice for a few weeks? have you been playing too much?

these are all thing that could affect your range.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is basically very simple. This type of mute (similar to a harmon without the stem) destroys the efficiency of the horn by adding a resonant structure to the front.

The only mutes that I have played that seem to work over the whole rang are the silent brass and the best brass ones. My other mutes are OK for basic practice but I never use them for range or dynamics.

4. JacobR343

JacobR343 New Friend

Jun 17, 2010
    Peachtree City, GA
  5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Quote: "The only mutes that I have played that seem to work over the whole range are the silent brass and the best brass ones."

Yes, it's frustrating. My range is improving but the mutes are a struggle. Just got the silent brass and it's better than the others.

Rowuk, can you suggest a brand or even a model for one of these "best brass ones?" What's your favorite??? I wouldn't mind spending more for something that didn't fight you in the upper notes. :shhh:

Turtle

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I bought the SilentBrass years ago and have no need to consider other options. It does everything that I need in every register. Like horns, mouthpieces and wives, the greatest benefit and consistency is when you run with what you have and invest in what counts instead of the blonde of the weak..................... (or was that week?)

If you build the Renuzit mute, you will have very good results for little cash. If you buy the SilentBrass you will have much less sound leakage, may find all sorts of things that you think could be better, but once you get used to it, you get the job done with no excuses.

The engineer that invented the SilentBrass started his own company a couple of years later. Here are two further developments:
    SOUND TRANSFORMER Warm-up | BEST BRASS Corp.
    SOUND TRANSFORMER e-BRASS | BEST BRASS Corp.

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    "...blonde of the weak .... (or was that week?)"

I think it works fine either way. ;-)

Thanks for that mute suggestion. I like the silent brass that I just received days ago in the mail quite a lot. I enjoyed the tiny drawings in the manual for the mute itself, especially of the TUBA MUTE, which is so large, it looks like a washing machine and when the mute was in place, it seemed like the guy couldn't see around it to read music on his stand. :lol:

Really nice to be playing the trumpet .....

Turtle

8. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Basically, sticking a mute in the horn changes the whole creature. I've only found a few mutes that allow me to play the whole range. Silent Brass, Bubble mute, RingMute.
    And even with these, it makes the trumpet a different creature.

9. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    Umm...maybe. I doubt it, but a mute does change things.
    I think you might be blowing way too hard tho.
    Just my opinion,
    Andrew

10. nicoledc109

nicoledc109 New Friend

Aug 2, 2010
    I also think so.