Weight in the sound

Discussion in 'Wise Talk!' started by Sophar, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Sophar

Sophar New Friend

Jan 30, 2005
    Wa
    I have been listening to trumpet players for some time and I am wondering how to put more weight in my sound? If you have any suggestions please let me know. I do not want to use heavier Equipment to produce this sound. I just want more weight acoustically. I Listen to Mager, Herseth, Glantz, and I hear weight in thier sound.

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    None of the afore mentioned players used the heavy artillery of today.They played Bach, Besson or Conn trumpets. Bud, Harry and Georges are poster children for correctness in playing. They are men of small, medium and large stature. I have seen Bud live and videoes of Harry Glantz, they do nothing fancy.
    Correct posture. Proper breathing techniques are evident in the playing of these artists.
    The trick,and I hate the term, is perfect practice. Have that sound in mind that you want, then work on getting it.
    I have no idea of your playing, so I only advise you to stick to the fundamentals and listen to yourself.
    You can be your own best teacher.
    Wilmer

3. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    Sophar,

More weight acoustically. I like the way you chose your words (very descriptive)!

Wilmer cut right to the chase with his comments. Those are all of the places were your should focus your energy.

I’ve written in more detail on this topic (what I call Resonant Sound click here for more details and make sure you follow the links in the post – especially the Resonant Sound link). Wilmer mentioned having a clear sound in mind when you are approaching your practice. Since this is such an important aspect of getting to your goal you might be interested in a post about Listening.

I hope these ideas are helpful to you!

4. Sophar

Sophar New Friend

Jan 30, 2005
    Wa
    Thank you Mr Wise for your input and direction. The most fundemental approach is the most correct. I will focus on that approach and not focus on external stimulus. Thanks you wilmer

5. Sophar

Sophar New Friend

Jan 30, 2005
    Wa
    Weight is a function of what one hears in the mind. As a singer projests the sound to the back of the hall so does a trumpet player project the sound through the horn.