Weight loss and trumpet playing....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by pintocb, Apr 15, 2012.

1. pintocb

pintocb New Friend

Jan 1, 2011
    Greetings!

I've recently lost a significant amount of weight. From August to now I've dropped from 395lbs:-o to 297ish....with at least 50-60 to go. I've begun to notice some differences in my playing. I'm a middle school band director, and I play in a few groups....I average about once a week plus a gig every now and then. I don't practice like I should...maybe once a week on average. I like to play lead, and I'm more of a power player than a finesse guy. Has anyone else experienced this? Just curious. :) Thanks in advance for any insight....or smart assed replies. (I like those too, and it's a trumpet forum....it's to be expected)

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    No smart reply here, but congrats on dropping the weight! That is no small feat.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    What changes have you noticed in your playing? And as for lead playing, you do this practicing only once a week... you're a better man than I am. I have to play daily to keep up my lead chops.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    In Keith Fiala's new book - I think it is called -- "lets play all night", or something like that -- he interviews 3 people (Wayne Bergeron, Arturo Sandoval, and Chad Shoopman) --- Wayne and Chad both lost significant amounts of weight (over 50 lbs) ---- each explained that weight loss effects endurance, and range --- as the "fatty" disposition of muscles changes (even the lip/face muscles -- as small as they are change) --- and it screws with the trumpet playing (hitting notes, sound, etc. -----BUT you can give up -- OR YOU CAN WORK THROUGH IT!!!!!!

ps. - I also suggest bumping up the practice schedule -- my goodness man, do you expect more out of your students then to practice once a week????? be a role model ---- and practice some more!!! that is not a smart comment -- but, rather a truism!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  5. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    I think the Doctor's questions need to be answered, but KingTrumpet has given you strong evidence. Obesity does effect endurance. Some people suffer from sleep apnea as a result. It only makes sense that losing weight should be beneficial in the long run. Congrats on that. I agree with KT, "practice, practice, practice!"

kingtrumpet likes this.
  6. pintocb

pintocb New Friend

Jan 1, 2011
    I knew I'd get busted for admitting the practice amount. As to the snide remark about what I expect out of my students, you're free to mind your own business. It came across as a bit judgemental for my taste.

Thanks for the info from the three pros mentioned. That makes sense. I'm willing to do what it takes to get through it as time allows....(full time job, two teens, and a massive exercise schedule doesn't leave me much time) but I'm not willing to gain back the weight.....:) obviously.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    YES - definitely judgemental!!!!!!!!!!! -- I remember back in the day (30+ years ago) when we were given a lesson -- and the band instructor actually EXPECTED that we would at least work on that lesson -- 1/2 hour everyday, for a week. BUT THE TIMES they are a changing, and now there is "fuzzy math" or some concept, where my nieces and nephews don't even have to get the correct answer -- but just demonstrate the process of the logic. So I will mind my own business -- and just say --- "if you expect little out of your students --then you will probably get that, --- if you expect great things, then you will probably get great things" --
    and as you might even acknowledge -- if you expected to lose only 3 pounds you would have been everjoyed with losing 5, BUT if you expect (plan on) losing a 150 pounds -- then the 5 lbs, would be a dismal failure...............
    now you can hate me and my advice ---- AWESOME --- I nominate you for a MODERATOR on this site!!!!!!!!!!!

8. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    How about staying after school for 15 minutes and taking out the horn then? I dont think you have too many papers to grade, and if you can annoy/serenade the other teachers it a plus!

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA

Hey - as a student -- young Cody ---aren't you supposed to "mind your own business"??? -- or do you have latitude to just understand the logic of giving advice -- and therefore everything is OK???
    NONETHELESS --- I am not making many friends lately on TM -- AM I??? and you know what that means to me!!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL (double or nothing) ROFL ROFL ROFL

codyb226 likes this.
  10. pintocb

pintocb New Friend

Jan 1, 2011
    KT, a few of the best band directors I know don't even play their horns anymore. My students aren't me. They practice more than I do. I don't/won't "hate" you for your comments. 1. Your comments were the most helpful, on topic replies I've received, and I appreciate it. 2. You are a stranger on a BBS....with all due respect, you aren't important enough to me for me to take that kind of time or make that kind of commitment. :)

Cheers!