Weight loss and trumpet playing....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by pintocb, Apr 15, 2012.

1. pintocb

pintocb New Friend

Jan 1, 2011
    I've lost close to 100 lbs in 8 months. I'm noticing a drop in volume, and endurance, and with that fatigue a loss of some range. I'm going to be losing at least another 50. I'll up my playing over the next few months, but when marching season kicks in my tpt and I will be like long lost friends. (it happens every year) It'll be interesting to see what happens. :)

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA

NO - actually I am what and who I seem to be -- and that still irritates people --- I don't have a problem with Pintocb (if anyone thought I did -- then they think too much) ----- ROFL ROFL ROFL

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This is a good start. Another post noted effects on:
    Volume
    Endurance
    Range

I would add:
    Tone
    Tounging changes
    Fingering changes
    Practice Routine

If anyone can thing of other "outcomes" that would come with weight loss (or gain)... please add them. I will start a separate Thread with this template to begin getting input from any TM member once I develop a standardized survey sheet. Cosider us with this thread in the "Focus Group" mode.

As per contractual arrangement, BigDub will be my editor prior to starting the actual survey post.

4. pintocb

pintocb New Friend

Jan 1, 2011
    This is great. I had no idea I'd start a project for someone. :) It will be a great asset for folks when finished. Please let me know what I can do to help out beyond current input.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Just keep watching for the Survey Thread and be prepared to answer. Also your edits and comments as suggestions come in from this focus group regarding survey questions would be much appreciated.

6. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I thought I was loosing my darn mind....

I have suffered untold changes in my playing that I can't seem to counter act. After reading here it makes sense.

I had weight loss surgery in October 2011 to help me get my weight under control. I have been successful well beyond my wildest dreams in that when I started I weighed 372 Lbs today Just a bit over one year later I weigh 196 or so. I've lost over 170 Lbs.

Along with the wieght I seem to have lost my modest ability to play the trumpet as well. Every facet of my playing has become so much a chore that I almost no longer desire playing at all.

I feel as though no matter how much air I take in; I'm suffocating. I can barely manage 4 bar phrases. My range has gone from I wish it were better to where the heck did it go? Endurance... Yeah right; what's that.

After reading here I see now that perhaps I'm way out of balance and now have to go hunting for that balance. I've been reluctent to move from my mouthpiece but really see that I probably have no choice at this point.

I currently play on a GR 3M with symphonic blank. I think it's just too big for me now. I'm going to get a Bach 7C and start there and see what happens.

Will post what I find.

7. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    c
    Congrats on losing all that weight. With that weight loss there comes tremendous changes in body metabolism especially that associated with fat metabolism and liver function. With mobilisation of the lipids from your body stores, there is the strong possibility of what is called ketoacidosis whcih is associated with insulin production. This ketoacidosis ac alter your overall feeling of well being, increased fatigue and other side effects. So don't panic; wait till your weight stabilizes and keep practising.:thumbsup:

Dr. Mike

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    As I've previously posted I've gone from 18st + down to 15st 4lbs (well it was about 10 mins ago) and while I have noticed some changes in my playing, I've attributed some of that to the re-jigging of my schedule to do other physical things when I was previously practicing. The programme has changed, the body has changed, my mental attitude has changed, so my trumpet playing has changed - I found a need to re-evaluate which of my herd of horns I use for different gigs. which MPces work with those trumpets now, what endurance I had lost, and even how I hold the trumpet.

Bottom line (and notice KT that I put it down here at the bottom) my trumpet playing is easier than it used to be.

9. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Bought a Bach 7C from the local music store yesterday and played on it.. Wow I wish I would have thought of that sooner. My playing was at least 60 to 70 Percent better. With some practice I think I can get back to where I was at before I lost all my weight.

Any suggestions for air support exercises?

10. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Not a medical person, Eclipsehornplayer, but are you on an exercise program that includes a reasonable aerobic component? If no, can you start one? If yes, can you safely increase intensiity?
    Jim