Weight loss and trumpet playing....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by pintocb, Apr 15, 2012.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    soft long tones ---- even as simple as starting on the 2nd line (in the staff G) work your way up to 20 minutes at a time (taking breaths when necessary) -- and it might take several weeks or so --- but it can do tremendous things for tone and endurance, and also getting the breath and lips synched up a bit ---- of course you want to keep expanding the long tones, and do other exercises ------------- also TRY NOT TO OVER POWER the horn, I mean play softly and smoothly and at longer times before resting ---- this will build endurance, then you can add more volume and dynamics and stuff as you go --------------think LONG TERM perspective ---weeks and months, and that will be LESS FRUSTRATING ON YOUR COMEBACK. ((((ps. also with the surgery, hopefully you realize, it is a whole lifestyle change also -- so don't let down your guard on eating healthy and exercise -- I know a neighbor who got the surgery and a few years later, he started slacking on the exercise, and started eating more and unhealthy stuff --- and he looks pretty bad and gained a lot of weight in a few short years)))) DISICPLINE on your health and your TRUMPET --- it will all come in time!!

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    what the heck are you talking about????

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Just exactly the question I sometimes ask myself of your posts KT ;-)

But basically I used to be fatter than I am now, it has changed my playing a bit, and I have made a comment to you about the structure of my post - just for fun you understand. ROFLROFLROFL

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    It all depends on how you spell it... to me Phat is a good sound.

5. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Oh yeah I'm working in the gym several days a week as my schedule allows. No restrictions.. I generally run a couple of miles as well as do the stair master and lift weights. These were the keys to my success along with diet.

6. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Thanks King...

This seems like good advice. As for the weight loss oh yeah I'm very aware of that. I maintain a fairly strict commitment to exercise as well as adherence to diet. I get great help in portion control from the Lap Band which is the method of surgery that I choose.

However It's on me to be disciplined and continue these practices to be successful. I too know people that have failed; however they failed due to there own lack of discipline. You can't put down 5 snickers bars a day along with regular meals and expect to not blow back up.

kingtrumpet likes this.
  7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    wow - it took me half a day, and also standing on my head (so you know my head would be "down under") just to figure that out Ted (or Hey, It's A Ted) ROFL ROFL ROFL -- and now that I realize it, your a funny guy!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL someday, I will be able to figure you Aussies out without first standing on my head!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    there you go -- I am on a 4 year comeback to the trumpet (after quitting for over a decade) and probably at my best ability on the horn ever --- but it has come with a price!!! -- 3 hour practices the first couple of years, and now I am a slacker at only an 1 1/2 to 2 hours --- but I also added a trombone in the mix last january ---- and that is all my poor 47 year old lips can take in a night ---- but YES --- progress, steady and unwavering in my pursuit to be ------------THE BEST I CAN BE AT THIS POINT IN MY LIFE!!!!!

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Or sitting on your Aussie?:dontknow:

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I, """"auhhh seee"""", where you are going with this -- down under, EYYY??? ROFL ROFL ROFL