Weights & Trim Kits

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bhamalguy, Dec 29, 2007.

1. bhamalguy

bhamalguy New Friend

Dec 26, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Do the heavy bottom and top caps and trim kits that you see on many custom line horns really effect the playing that much?​

2. bhamalguy

bhamalguy New Friend

Dec 26, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Now, I'm sure that with more weight comes a different, and perhaps more desirable sound; however, are the trim kits really WORTH the money to add to ordinary trumpet?

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you like it, and it is beneficial to you, then do it. But if it isn't beneficial, then don't.

Yes, weight does affect the way a horn plays.

4. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    What he said. :)

5. BrassOnLine

BrassOnLine Piano User

Nov 22, 2007
    Spain
    I used Curry CCaps on my Callet Soloist and I feel that sound is more compact, more core and control.
    But you should think that psicological factor is always present.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have tried various weights and other things and can say the trumpet sounds and plays best the way it was originally designed. Adding weight can make the trumpet slot better, generally at the cost of poorer intonation and evenness of blow - which leads to a bigger mouthpiece with a drilled out throat to make the horn slot less and allow us to bend the intonation back to where it belongs. Placebos are available everywhere. If you believe in that stuff go for it, it is not my money that you are spending!
    My take is, if you want a heavy trumpet, then buy one that was designed to be heavy. If you want something that makes a REAL and generally POSITIVE difference, spend the money to get your horn overhauled with a valve and gap alignment.

MJ likes this.