weird but good change in embouchure but why?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by daniel117, Aug 19, 2012.

1. daniel117

daniel117 Pianissimo User

Jun 28, 2012
    ever since i started playing the trumpet when i got tired and kept on playing it always hurt my lips. around the area where i put the mouthpiece on

for some reason the last week ive been playing, no matter how much i play the area where my lips hurt has been the corners and cheek area and not where i put my mp on my lips

range and tone are the same but ever since this change my endurance has been WAY up. Being able to play 4 hours straight and not feel tired the next day is great

I was just wondering if anyone could provide an explanation to this because i didn't purposely change my embouchure and i cant tell what im doing different(physically)

2. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    Maybe resting and taking it easier allowed your chops to rebuild and come back stronger. Imagine that!

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    sounds like you are using less pressure and keeping the blood flowing through your lips.... maybe?

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Maybe it's the euphonium mpc exercise you're doing as instructed by your teacher. Man that guy is smart!

5. daniel117

daniel117 Pianissimo User

Jun 28, 2012
    His name is micheal warny, my band teacher says hes one of the best trombone/brass instructors in houston

6. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Michael Warny? Yes, he is fantastic!

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Nice pedigree and list of successful students (hint, hint, listen to him! ;-)).

8. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Sounds like nice firm corners and a relaxed middle to me (gag for our Aussie friends here I can't resist and apologise to your teacher in advance. Taught by someone called Warny, his advice don't get in a spin while tring to force your lip into position for a googly..........................Oh its too easy)