weird issue with 1st line E,and Eb

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Apr 9, 2012.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Since I have been working on keeping my embrouchure more set for the upper register ( for lack of a better description), I can play with alot less movement. It took a little bit to get the lower register full again but now it seems to be coming along .. so basically I can play a high C and jump down to a low C and nail it.
    Now the weird part ... during my warm ups the low register ( C down ) and upper from second line G are fine ... as far as warm ups go but there seems to be more work required to get the E and Eb out ... they seem tight.
    Anyone have any experience with that or know if this is common?
    Once I am warmed up it's pretty much a non issue ... I just thought it was a little odd.

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Dont worry about them, just play soft, slow slurred chromatic runs between C and G up and down and the E and Eb should fall into place.

Regards, Stuart.

3. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I know when I make a big interval jump like over and octave I HAVE to hear it and learn it in my head. It doesn't have anything to do with valve combinations or anything for me. My brain is guiding my embrochure to a more pleasing note to my ear. I know my brain wouldn't gravitate from over an octave C to an Eb. I would be steered to the C, G, or F.

4. Steve Hollahan

Steve Hollahan Pianissimo User

May 31, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Two octave bounces would tighten up any embouchure, use overtones and sub tones to relax embouchure.

5. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    But does it continue after you are fully warmed up? That's the real issue here. If you can get it all smoothed out by the time you're warmed up, no problem. Anything that happens during the warm up period is excused. I have a lot of things happen when I warm up that go away when I'm fully warmed, like it sometimes feels like I never played before!! Then I'm warmed up and all is well.

Dupac likes this.
  6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    CD,

I am stumped. I have never heard of this before. The only thing that comes to mind is the spit key on the tuning slide. If it is marginally leaky, moisture could make it swell and seal - by the time your warm up is done. Is 3rd space C# also a problem?

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    okay.. it's really only noticible during warm ups... when I am playing very soft...
    Rowuk .... I recently had the horn ultrasonically cleaned and the corks replaced ... I think the seat is okay... but I will check it out. The C# is good ...resonates easiliy.
    I was paying more attention to it and I think that entire partial is a little different ... if my chops aren't warmed up they don't just flow out as easily.
    @Chuck.. I mentioned the 2 octave jumps because I am pretty pumped about being able to play across intervals without having the horn bounce around so I think the embrouchure set up is headed in the correct direction sort of comment. The notes aren't flowing during simple warmups ... down in half steps from C or the Vizzutti arpeggio warm ups.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    coolerdave,
    I have some of those "breaks" -- they come unexplained, and they usually leave just as mysteriously -- but limiting them is what I am after ----- what helps me is intervals up and down the scales -- and octave leaps up and down --- intervals (3rd space C -- C to D, C to E, etc up as far as you can then back down, and also 3rd space C - and down, C to B, C to A, etc.) -- and also octave leaps --- C to C, D to D, E to E (any octaves) ------- I think this is similiar to Chuck Cox -- in that the mind/ear interface is "hearing" the sound, and then "fixing" the embouchure and the "use of your air" to correspond to replicating that!!!!!!! IMHO

9. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    It is said there is a break between around Eb/E when it comes to buzzing. That's the only thing that comes to mind. Not saying it's an answer to your question. Dave, you do any Thompson stuff? I've been at his Buzzing Book hammer and tongs for two months. But what you said made me think of it.

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I really don't do much buzzing .... but I might give a slide from the low register to the upper register for a couple of minutes to see if that changes anything.
    I broke out the tuner this morning to see if I noticed anything concerning the intonation in that area of the scale . The sensation is that of back pressure the closer I get to the E .. the note doesn't resonate so I get that back up feeling. I can get it out with a little push. I usually do all my practicing and warm ups on my Strad ... may try this with the other horns just to see if anything changes.