weird issue with 1st line E,and Eb

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    You could also make a try with the Strad and another mouthpiece, just to see what happens ?

2. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    This is where we live.

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I don't think it's a chop problem. The nodal points for E and Eb hit right about where the water key on most horns is on the main tuning slide. This is why on some horns they can be a little flat. If there is any leakage at this water key it will create the problems you are describing. here's a couple of quick test. Take the tuning slide out and insert it upside down. See if this makes a difference. with the slide in normal position take your hand and press on the water key cork as you play an E or Eb. If one or both of these test make a difference than the water key is the problem. Some shops don't replace water key springs with original springs. This is a problem esp. on Bach's because only a Bach spring is strong enough to make a tight seal at the cork.

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I flipped the cork over ....fixed .... what a "duh" moment. The shop must have not changed it properly.
    thanks Robin,Bob ...

palm to the forehead

5. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Glad you have found the trouble, simple mechanical problems are often overlooked, I have never had a problem with a water key cork, although I have had horns returned with valves furthur out of alignment than when taken in.

Mr father used to say "If you want a job done properly, do it yourself".

Regards, Stuart.

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    What really bugs me is that I looked at that cork when I picked up the horn and said....hmmm is that seating properly .... then "poof" the thought was gone.
    Stuart that quote went through my head ....
    but all is good in the Universe now .... ummmmmmmmmmmmmm :-)

7. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    For the longest time I was wondering why that very 1st horn I rented when I first started trumpet (a Jupiter, quite decent) had that loud annoying vibration of the Amado water key on 4th space E. Thanks for the clue Bob.

8. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    See if this helps:

1. Play some soft low g's for about 30 seconds right at the beginning of your warmup. then go light the tea kettle and make a hot beverage.

2. After the water is hot and you've poured your cup of java whatever play through Clarke technical Stdies Etude II. just very soft. don't put a lot of air behind the horn until everything feels nimble.

3. Drink the coffee and rest another 3 - 5 minutes.

4. OK NOW start putting some air behind the horn. But avoid two octave scales and arpeggios for another five minutes or so.

Once this warm up is completed you might start taking your results more seriously but not until then.

The best thing to do to fix those fuzzy tones is to do this warm up, develop air support/lung capacity increase and learn to keep loose all lip flesh inside the mouthpiece.

Switch the muscle use to the area on or outside the inner rim of the mouthpiece. never tighten the lip flesh inside th mouthpiece cup. not in any register. ESPECIALLY the upper register.

Breathing is first and fundamental. Most other issues will repair themselves once air support is achieved.

9. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Your right palm, hopefully, to keep the left side rested.

--bumblebee

coolerdave likes this.
  10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    got that right !