weird issue with my trumpet, some mouthpieces just wont fit...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by admriker444, Jan 5, 2012.

1. BrassEye

BrassEye Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2011
    I have the same issue Cody describes above when I use a Marcinkiewicz piece in my horn. It may not happen with all Marcinkiewicz pieces; I only have one. If I recall correctly, it also happens with Kelly pieces. As I currently prefer to use Yamaha pieces I haven't given it much thought, but I would be interested in an explanation if anyone knows.

2. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    If it happens with all your mouthpieces the issue is with the receiver. If the receiver is perfectly clean, then I would suspect that the taper is not perfectly accurate; maybe it is a bit out of round.

3. DGLawrence

DGLawrence New Friend

Jan 6, 2012
    I have a Mt. Vernon Strad (1960) and have been shopping for mouthpieces (a Bach 7BW arrived today). Same loose-fitting problem. Maybe the taper of the newer shanks are different enough to result in too loose a fit. This was also true of some Shilkes I tested last week. My Mt. Vernon era mouthpieces and an old Schilke J fit just fine.

4. brad361

brad361 Pianissimo User

Feb 12, 2008
    I had a Schilke S42 that was finally determined to have a mpce receiver that was very slightly incorrectly positioned on the leadpipe. It was certainly not visible, but I would get a slight "wiggle" with certain (Schilke also) mpces. The guys at Schilke were typically great, and corrected the problem. Which, BTW, meant they had to remove then re-atteach the receiver and entirely re-plate the horn, no charge to me! You can't beat Schilke for customer service.

Brad361

5. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Thats great. Glad you got it fixed. I have heard many good things about Schilke.

6. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Hi Jack alert! I have a 1965 Holton Galaxy trumpet which I really like, but have a problem when using a standard shank mouthpiece of any type, Bach 75, Classic OLDs 75, King 7 K. It won't tune quite sharp enough to 440 even with the tuning and other slides all the way in. Just a tad flat, which is noticeable. Otherwise the horn looks normal in every way. I find that if I use a Classic OLDs 7c cornet mp with electrical tape, it perks right up to normal tuning, probably because of the shorter shaft, baring any other problems. My other trumpets don't have that problem. I wonder if it would be worth it to try and secure a Galaxy Mp, which turn up on ebay, or something else? Thanks.