weird lip problem Help? Scar Tissue?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Coehlers95, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Coehlers95

Coehlers95 New Friend

Jul 12, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hey guys so I am here asking if anyone has any experience or can help me. Lately I have this lip "pouch" right in the middle of my aperture. I really don't know how to describe it other than it always reals very raw and a different texture than the rest of my lips. I play a lot and Im not sure if its scar tissue or something else but it feels really different than the rest of my lips and its really making it hard to play. I get a really bad double buzz and I can kinda roll in my top lip a little when I need to play but it doesn't last long and I'm done. My lips kinda just shut down.

Really looking for some guidance cause I just don't know what to do but I really got to get it taken care of! :(

2. feedback@stomvi-usa

[email protected] Piano User

Jan 24, 2012
    Newhall California
  3. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Tread very lightly here. I recall reading about the plight of a pro player a few years ago who played a lot and whose embouchure came undone, permanently, forcing him to stop playing altogether. Do what you can to avoid experiencing his horror story!

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Well, there is not much that we can predict blindly. It does sound like you have unrealistic expectations for your face if the embouchure shuts down. That can be excessive pressure, it can be bad breathing and body use, for sure if the chops shut down, you are being warned. You can listen or try and muscle your way through. I propose listening to your body and start by reducing the amount of hard playing that causes shut down. If "too much" was the only problem, things should improve.

My gut level hunch is that you simply have some bad playing habits and your body can't deal with the load. It is VERY difficult to patch bad habits if the player does not take some time off to get things in order.