Weird Question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Joyful Noise, May 18, 2015.

1. Joyful Noise

Joyful Noise New Friend

May 15, 2015
    I don't have dentures but I'm curious as to whether or not one would be able to play the trumpet with dentures?

2. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Have you tried the one weird trick Texas drivers are using to lower their auto insurance? Or the one weird trick this 70-year old is using to erase wrinkles?

Just kidding. I don't know.

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    i don't have dentures myself, but I know a few people who do, and play trumpet well.

Back in the '70s I had a trumpet teacher who had dentures, and he was a famous trumpet player who had a monster sound. He had a medical issue and all his teeth pulled, He had a cast made of his original teeth, and had dentures made to match.

It made me think, that it is the brain that can have a major influence on your sound. Everyone has a different teeth set up, but your body can compensate and adjust.
    Short answer, Yes you can play trumpet with dentures.

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Duplicated

5. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Welcome to TM Joyful Noise. My denture wearing dad made a comeback to playing when I started to learn with the local brass band (long time back now). He'd played cornet previously, but moved onto euphonium because he could play a larger mouthpiece, with the aid of gunk to stick his top denture in, whereas the denture wasn't steady enough for him to get a decent result on cornet. Thinking about this some 50 years later, he may have been playing with to much pressure and not have persisted for long enough with the cornet. Anyhow, he turned out to be a useful eupho player.

A funny aspect... If he didn't take his denture out as soon as we got home from band practice, it'd be stuck for a couple of days because of the amount of denture glue he had to use :-)

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  6. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Another aspect of a qualified NAPBIRT TECHNICIAN...being proficient in the use of
    Polident-removal tools.

7. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    I have had a full upper denture for 50+ years, fine with trumpet but cannot play large mouthpieces like trombone or tuba. Have to go through a relearning process whenever I get a new one.

Regards, Stuart

8. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    My SIL plays with them, upper and lower. She's not a virtuoso, but a decent third part player:oops:

9. gbshelbymi

gbshelbymi Mezzo Piano User

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
    Chet Baker had dentures the latter part of his life and did OK.

10. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    When I was in HS I had a private instructor who had top dentures and he played very well, he could even play without them in, and he was a heavy smoker. So if he could do it I'd imagine anyone could