Weird Question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Joyful Noise, May 18, 2015.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    When I got my full upper denture since moving here to NC, it necessitated a complete rebuild of my embouchure and just as that was coming along, another dental appointment took most of my lower teeth and a pause waiting for the partial and then rebuild my embouchure again. All I can say is that I double on trumpet and euph well enough to enjoy doing so, and the group I play with once a week hasn't suggested I not come again.

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Dental issues are a scary subject for trumpet players. A few years back I lost a molar on my bottom left side. Initially I was going to do a root canal and a procedure referred to as an onlay. My doc did the root canal, gave me a temporary filling and said I'd be good to go until next week when he finished it up. That weekend I was eating a cracker and the whole molar broke, clear down to the root. Yay. The end result was that I had it pulled, did a bone graft, and eventually did a dental implant, which cost me about $2200 out of pocket. The alternatives - leaving a gap or doing a partial, were non-starters with me. Leaving the gap would have meant that my teeth would have shifted, and I have no idea what that would have done to my trumpet playing.

I may well lose my front teeth too because I'm a habitual tooth grinder. If/when that occurs, I'll have to decide whether to spend the money for implants or some other permanent dental solution, or to call it a day with the trumpet, and do drums as my sole instrument. Or maybe pick up guitar - I've always wanted to do that, but I've never had the time to really invest in it.

3. Joyful Noise

Joyful Noise New Friend

May 15, 2015
    Thanks for all the replies!

4. Tjnaples

Tjnaples Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Hawaii
    :shock:This reminds me of some advice a dentist gave me a decade ago, he did some reverse psychology on me. "You don't have to floss, just floss the teeth you want to keep." :shock: