welding fix

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Flugellover, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Flugellover

Flugellover New Friend

Dec 20, 2011
    Hi all,
    I have a question about repairing my flugelhorn. The braces that connect the bell to the valves have become separated from the bell/valves (one is not connected to the bell and the other is not connected to the valves. I have the specific thing circled on the picture if it is big enough. I was wondering if I could epoxy glue or soder it or fix it myself somehow or do I need to take it to a repair shop?
    .....11111111111fh.jpg

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    If you have experience in soldering with a gas torch and have the confidence to do a good job then go ahead, otherwise take it to a repairer! Do not use epoxy or other glues, they do not stick well to brass and can be a real pain to remove when the job has to be done again properly.

It is very easy to make a mess, I know from experience.

Regards, Stuart.

3. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    Like said, if you know how to do it you might do it, otherwise take it to your tech. Personally, as an amateur trumpet repairer, I do it myself, but I'm a professional metal maker.

4. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    We look at such repairs before we proceed to try to determine WHY the brace came unsoldered. Then we address that problem before doing the simpler task of soldering.

5. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Please don't use the work weld. I've seen people take this literally and use an arc welder on the instrument. Then they bring it to me with big melted holes in it and ask me to fix it.

6. prls1power

prls1power Piano User

Feb 11, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    rofl