Welk Tonight

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by A.N.A. Mendez, Mar 5, 2011.

1. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    GREAT show, All big band, DoC. ETC. Woo Hoo!

2. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Saw it. To me, the Welk band was always quite reserved in its playing. I think Welk kept them within close confines of playing. Not to say that was bad -it was just the Welk style. When they played American Patrol tonight you got a hint of what the band could do if "let loose."

3. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    So sorry I missed it! Had a performance. And I love to play American Patrol! I agree about the Welk band always seeming to be reserved and proper, Thats the Champagne Music way I guess. How fun would have it have been to be there in rehersal to see how they play when they are maybe allowed to pull out all of the stops. Best wishes.

4. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Welk started out as a "territory" band leader in the midwest. The style was known as "sweet, " micky," or "society" music. Think Guy Lombardo, Ted Weems, Kay Kaiser, Blue Baron, Tiny Little, etc. When I was in college I played bass with a band out of St. Paul whose leader and his wife were members of the original Welk territory band. His wife was the "original champaign lady." The Jules Herman Orchestra "Sweetest Music This Side of Heaven." ;-)

5. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    I just love to see a real band with top musicians playing,(I find myself trying to pick out instrument model makers and models), so rare now days. Plus the cheesy Welk style, the dancers, et al add to the nostalgia and fun.

6. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    I just think everyone on that show dripps with talent. Can you imagine a show today that puts out such a variety and quantity of performance on a weekly basis for years on end? Not much of the music seems dated today. Only when there are shots of the audience dancing are you reminded of the age of these shows. Cool fashions and hair styles! Im glad others are impressed by the Welk show as much as I am. Best wishes.