Well ain't that something

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Dennis78, Nov 11, 2016.

1. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Well, at any rate it isn't greatly overpriced!

2. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    New Zealand
    Hahahaha, that name is hilarious! I am currently laughing my head off. Genius brand name!

3. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Probably for someone with a wooden block instead of a brain...

4. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    New Zealand
    barliman hitting with humour......its soooo good.

5. Mordian

Mordian New Friend

Nov 11, 2016
    France
    Good morning everyone,

I'm new here (I'll completly indroduce me a bit later, may be on an other thread).

I've never played a music instrument.

So I have 2 questions which could be quite odd for experimented brass players.

1) Can you explain why this aunction is funny? (I am really serious, in my point of view I'm just seeing a trumpet for $9 I guess)

2) This one is more general : why are we in Horns part section and why this forum part has in description "Find the right trumpet for the job!"

For me a Horn is something like big trumpet but built in "circle"

Thanks for any reply.

Also, I'm french, so please forgive me my silly mistakes.

Have a nice day

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi Mordian,
    Welcome to TM.

1, Answer: a. Brand is Woodwind - Brass Trumpets are NOT Woodwinds
    The Woodwinds are Recorders, Clarinets, Oboe, Piccolo, Flutes and Sax etc.
    http://www.learnersdictionary.com/media/ld/images/legacy_print_images/woodwind_rev2.gif
    b. It is pretty well crushed bell, probably dropped from a height onto the bell directly, hence it is flattened. The Brace is broken off, so the forces have been considerable, maybe due to something else.
    c. This would take a lot of work, and you can Buy an Olds Ambassador in playing condition probably cheaper than repairing this.

2. Here we talk about horns, the right horn for the job you want, or the needs you have.

The horn here in this Listing is unplayable, and since an unknown brand, useless to use in repairs for anything else, maybe make a Frankenhorn - a mix of parts. Most Frankenhorns are done for the individual, and have parts that aim to improve the playability; but this horn is pretty much junk.
    Cheers

7. Mordian

Mordian New Friend

Nov 11, 2016
    France
    Thank you for answering me Peter.

I'm quite surprised, I didn't notice the bell's issue at first. And even now I thought that's not terrible, now I'll be safer if I try to buy some instruments with damage even small.

But for me seconde question, there's still a not understood part :

For me a trumpet looks like something like that : http://www.hornstash.com/images/products/large/490.jpg

and a horn something like that : http://data.yamaha.jp/sdb/local/products/images/9515/12001/9515_12001_1.jpg

But, the instrument in this listing looks like a trumpet for me, but you called it a horn.

So, could you make it clever for me?

8. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Yes, the first picture is a Trumpet, the second a French Horn. But both instruments are members of the Horn family, as are other brass instruments like Trombone, Tuba, Euphonium and so on. When talking about trumpets here they are frequently referred to just as horns (and that saves typing too).

--bumblebee

9. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    You will find that nearly all Brass Family players refer to their instrument as their Horn. Trumpet, Trombone, French Horn, Euphonium etc. all use this term.

Another common use for a working musician is their Axe - a tool used to cut wood. A tool used by the Musician - it is a slang term.
    In my case Woodwinds usually sit in front of me - so I am happy to cut the woodwinds (Joke).