Well, hello there...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Manny Laureano, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Gentles all,

I'm back from what proved to be one of the most wonderful weeks of my life and I can hardly wait to give you the flavor of it all. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to as I have a TON of stuff to attend to before I can get back to answering questions and your PMs. You folks that have answered questions in my stead have saved me a lot of time; I thought your answers were good ones but what do I know?

Here's a sneak preview:

I'm standing on stage after having played the Honegger and speaking to the audience about it and the following Ketting. I blow through the horn and let the water out on the floor when I look at my parents in the third row and say "Sorry, Mom." I look at the public and say "She hates when I do that..."

Hasta luego,

ML

2. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Que pasa mi amigo???!!!!

Welcome back Manny. I am happy you made it home safe and sound. I look forward to your stories. This first little ditty was worth a healthy giggle.

Also, CONGRATULATIONS on a successful "run". It must have been such a treat for those wide-eyed musicians of the conservatory to have a native son and player of your caliber, share your talent and knowledge. I am happy for you and for them!

:grouphug:

3. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Glad your back.

I'm off to play,
    Talk to you soon.

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Welcome home...from "home"!!

How much weight did your mama put on you this time? lol!

-Cw-

5. mrfabulous963

mrfabulous963 Piano User

Nov 26, 2005
    Heeeeeeeee's Baaaaaaack!!!!!!

Yes, now i have to remeber those questions I had for you, Manny.

6. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Don't even...

I ate like there was no tomorrow. Damn, she's a great cook.

ML

7. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Welcome back, Manny.

Say...I see you brought some of that tropical warmth back with you! It's saw that above 0 out your way! Get out the shorts!

8. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Thanks, folks...

The trip was without a doubt a highlight of my life.

There really is nothing like being part of a culture and doing something that is valued and loved by members of that culture. To be an ersatz homeboy (I was born and raised in NYC) and to be embraced for something that the world doesn't immediately associate with that culture is a beautiful thing. I did my best to communicate all that I could in that short week to a group of people that listened with opened ears and accepting hearts.

What you have to know about Puerto Ricans is that we are a physically demonstrative people. We are quick to laugh, cry, argue, and hug. In short, if you're looking for a culture that seemed almost tailor-made to interpret the beauty of all forms of music, the Puerto Rican people seemed as well-equipped as anyone ese on G-d's green earth.

I will say this, as well: Those of you like my dear friend Roberto Ramirez, who have an orchestra gig AND also teach several days a week for a college or university have my profound respect. It was relatively easy for me to come in and be the big hero of the week and attract all kinds of attention but those of you that do the double duty really, truly work for a living. It's a very tough schedule he has and I don't know how he does it. He plays principal trumpet for the Sinfonica beautifully (I was able to catch a concert) and has produced a studio of students that no envy no one. All produce a clear tone and were quick to understand the concepts I discussed. And they were nice, too! I felt as though I was among family members all week long.

I have to run and get ready to rehearse so I'll continue this later.

ML

9. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    Good to hear you had a great time. So when are you coming to KY? Or are you going to make me come up all the way to the north pole? hehe.

10. quinonesd2000

quinonesd2000 New Friend

Jan 5, 2004
    San Juan, PR
    Buenos Dias, Manny

I will like to thank you for "sharing the wealth" this past week at the Conservatory of Music here in Puerto Rico. The Master Classes were superb and the Recital was a dream come true. I still can't forget the sound of your interpretation of the Hindemith Sonata. It is incredible what you can do with the Monette 937 in B-Flat. In behalf of the 248th Army Band Trumpet Section and myself again, Thank You. I'm in the process of editing on DVD the Recital and the Saturday morning Masterclass. I will send you copies once I finish. It was nice meeting you and you just gained another friend here in the island. Hopefully will see you soon.

SSG Danny Quinones
    248th Army Band
    San Juan, PR
    "Service thru Music"