Well, I've figured it out

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by commakozzi, Apr 26, 2008.

1. commakozzi

commakozzi Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    So, I've posted before about my problems with playing, specifically my problem with endurance and getting a "double buzz". Also, I've posted before about how I thought I used to cheat in college because I would pull my mouthpiece down a little bit in order to play higher. Well guess what! I wasn't cheating!!! Turns out that since I've been working on the solution from the other end I've kept the mouthpiece too high for my lips to handle the full register. I've been pulling the mouthpiece back down and presto... double endurance and no double buzz, plus immediate range extension. I have a good sound in all registers now! I guess the reason I had thought I was cheating before was because I had never really worked on the full register of the horn with the mouthpiece pulled down before (it just felt funky). Well, it still feels a little funky, because I haven't played like this for long, but the sound is good and most of my problems have disappeared... most. I won't get into what's left, besides the many years of work.

2. nplotts1

nplotts1 Fortissimo User

Aug 5, 2007
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Congratulations on finding this out. Sometimes the most frustrating problems can be caused by basic set up like in this case, and it is always greatly rewarding when you finally figure out what to do.

I will say that changing your setup can be extremely hard if you don't remind yourself frequently.

3. commakozzi

Oct 30, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    Yeah, that's been my greatest concern so far, is just remembering to set up the same way everytime I play. It still feels funky, but I'm going to work with this, because it really is producing results. I'll give it about 4 weeks to make a final decision, but hopefully I've found my solution.

4. nplotts1

nplotts1 Fortissimo User

Aug 5, 2007
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Best of luck to you. I actually made my change over the summer last year by not playing (which I don't recommend)

I had been getting frustrated with music, having a hard time with piano and not really progressing on trumpet, granted practice wasn't very common. I had changed my major and set my horn down over the summer. At the end of summer I finally picked it up when I went to go help out my Alma Mater for marching band camp. Knowing the right way to set up (and practice) and not having the memory of the wrong way.
    Needless to say, in the 2 weeks before coming back to college I was better than after my first year of college; realized I can't do anything other than music and switched back to Music Education for my major, none the worse for wear.

5. commakozzi

Oct 30, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    Yeah Nick, I mean it's amazing too. I'm on just my second day of using this "setup" and I can tell that it's definately what I need to do. My range is great and my endurance is more than doubled. Plus, I've got this ping sound to my playing now that sounds more right to me than what I did hear before.

Hey, it looks like I might be going to school again here soon. I'm auditioning for the school of music at Kennesaw. Tom teaches there. I feel a little like Adam Sandler in "Billy Madison", but who cares. I want to go back and finish my degree, because I'd like to play professionally if at all possible.

6. nplotts1

nplotts1 Fortissimo User

Aug 5, 2007
    Atlanta, Georgia
    There is no shame in that. We have a student who will be joining us in the fall who is coming back to school as well. He came here to Georgia Southern for his engineering bachelor's and played in some of the ensemble, a really amazing player from what I hear. Well, he decided that he loves music too much and is coming back to get his second bachelor's degree in music.

7. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    You know, I think I move my mouthpiece up when I am about to play high too. I thought I was also cheating, but I saw no other way for it.

8. commakozzi

Oct 30, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    No, I actually would move it down. Now, I'm trying to keep it there and play the whole range of the horn. It really seems to be my solution.

Nick, I'm not really as ashamed as I might sound. I'm really looking forward to it. I've been out of school for over 10 years now, and have built a career in design work. I miss music badly though, and I think I'm going to have a lot of fun going back to finish my degree. Plus I'll get to study with Tom Hooten more!

9. nplotts1

nplotts1 Fortissimo User

Aug 5, 2007
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Studying with Tom would be a good experience. I actually am trying to decide on what school I want to go to for graduate studies (Master of Music in Performance.) Dave Hickman is at Arizona State, Butler and Geyer are at Eastman, Indians is getting a brand new $40 million music building, Cincinnati Conservatory is a good school that a few people who I know have gone/go there. Not to mention the many others that are out there that are really good, i.e. UNT

10. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    No, I actually would move it down. - commakozzi

Yea! Actually I would move it down on my lips. I got a little disoriented there!

Nick, good luck on finding a good school

PS- sorry I interrupted your conversation, continue!