Well, I've figured it out

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by commakozzi, Apr 26, 2008.

1. commakozzi

commakozzi Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    No man, good interruption! Yeah, I mean I couldn't tell you what you need to do, but for me... OH MY GOD!!! I'm seriously excited, almost to tears, at what this has done for my playing and it's only been two days! It was an instant fix! I need to work on a lot of things, of course, but I just got finished working on a Charlier Etude that I couldn't get through three days ago, and today I played it effortlessly. I can't imagine what this will be like even just a year from now!

Yeah Nick, I'm taking lessons from Tom now, well I've had one lesson, but am planning on seeing him through the rest of this year. He's an amazing player and he's the reason I've stumbled onto the mouthpiece placement change. During my one lesson so far, in February (I think), he realized that I was having a buzz problem and obvious endurance problems. He mentioned that I might need to consider a change in mouthpiece placement but he didn't specifically suggest moving it down. Anyway, yeah I think that he'd be great for my undergraduate study, and then hopefully I'll be set for graduate studies somewhere after I finish at KSU. Happy times!!!

2. nplotts1

nplotts1 Fortissimo User

Aug 5, 2007
    Atlanta, Georgia
    its a forum, you didn't interrupt anything haha.

I sometimes have problems with double buzz, maybe I will try that next time, if it doesn't work, no harm no foul, if it does then that would be great. Though, i do find that the double buzz rears its ugly head when I am tired or didn't practice much the day before, so maybe thats just the problem.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  3. commakozzi

commakozzi Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    Well, to say that my problem was a "double buzz" is not correct really, so I shouldn't say that. But yes, with this way that I'm playing now with the mouthpiece pulled further down than I'm used to I do get a true "double buzz" if I'm tired (not keeping my corners firm) and not using correct air support. I also notice that when I do get tired this way my lower lips tends to drop back. I'm kind of using that as my sign to stop playing!