Well you needn't: need advice/correction

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mrizzone, Nov 16, 2014.

1. mrizzone

mrizzone Pianissimo User

Jul 14, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Hello! I'm practicing "Well you needn't" right now. The D I point with the green arrow sounds wrong, a Eb sounds right to my ear. I'm correct? Any answer is welcome. Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    You are right. But the eb in the next bar is wrong too, should be e natural.

Eb enat a eb d

3. mrizzone

mrizzone Pianissimo User

Jul 14, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Thanks!

4. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    mrissone, do you know how he came to that answer?

5. mrizzone

mrizzone Pianissimo User

Jul 14, 2013
    Buenos Aires

No

6. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    This is a good example of ""Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
    It would seem to me that it would be more helpful in the long run for you to learn the "why" so you can always apply it, vs asking each time something similar comes up. OK, here we go.

In a passage like the one you have, often there is some kind of series of notes or chords being repeated. Looking for a common denominator can unlock the mystery. If you look at the passage you'll note a sequence in the lowest note being repeated. The last note of each of the figure's eighth-notes, is descending by half steps. F# - F - E and then your ear (good catch) tells you that there's something wrong with the next note, the D. But what if the passage is supposed to be a complete descending series of half steps? Your next note, instead of a D would be an Eb, like you hear, and then the next half step, a D like musical mason suggests.

So the next time you get stumped you can look for any kind of pattern that is repeated, either exactly or with some modification.

7. mrizzone

mrizzone Pianissimo User

Jul 14, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Thank you kehaulani!

8. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    Good explanation. However it is important to point out that these patterns are not always 100% reliable. Especially with Monk. When in doubt, it is always a good idea to listen to the original and learn from it.