West Side Story Revival

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Fluffy615, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    The newest version of West Side Story is previewing in March, does anyone know what the pit is going to be like. I know with the economy the way it is many of the shows have smaller pits. I hope it's not one of those shows where the actors play instruments as well!:shhh: Does anyone know who the trumpets are?
    Bob

2. nickpasternack

nickpasternack Pianissimo User

Aug 21, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    DO NOT quote me, but i believe Phil Renauldi(hope i spelled it right, Ive played with him:dontknow:) may be involved. He does some Broadway stuff. I think he was involved in the last one as well, but then again i dont claim any expertise.

3. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    Hey, if anyone wants to pull a whole small pit orchestra together for our production of West Side Story, be my guest!
    It's not quite Broadway, but we can pay you in....cookies?

I'm obviously kidding, but we're performing to a CD this year, which sucks.

4. trumpetdoc

trumpetdoc New Friend

Oct 11, 2004
    NYC/Long Island
    The trumpets are:

John Chudoba on lead with Trevor Neumann and Matt Petersen. From my understanding, there was quite a battle to get the third trumpet included.

Hang in there,
    Leon

5. TrumpetPower

TrumpetPower New Friend

Jan 23, 2009
    Virginia Beach, VA
    ^ I'm glad they got it. The trumpet part to West Side Story is awesome. It should be a no brainer: "the more the merrier"! I'm looking forward to hearing them.

6. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    Well I'm glad they won their battle!! I hate when they skimp on the pit. I'm looking forward to hearing this version of the show.
    Bob

7. craigmac71

craigmac71 New Friend

Jun 12, 2007
    Washington D.C.
    Hello ALL,

I Played the 6 weeks of previews in D.C. I can tell you that the experience was great. The big Orchestra was great inscentive to really go all out every night. The Conductor/Md was great and a couple of the NY trumpet players came and saw the show which was inspiring to play my best when they were sitting 5 feet in front of me. The New Version (half in spanish) is amazing , making some of the scenes/ songs seem almost opera excerpt worhty.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  8. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Thanks for the review craigmac!