West Side Story

Discussion in 'Wise Talk!' started by gchun, Jun 24, 2005.

1. gchun

gchun Piano User

Dec 10, 2003
    Wilmer-

Great to have you here.

Could you share some of your experiences regarding the recording you did of West Side Story? (How long were the sessions?, How many days? pickup sessions?, anything would be great.)

Thanks,
    Garry

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    The sessions were each 3 hours long. We recorded at the 44th street RCA studios. The studio temperature was below zero, this played a big role in the performance of the vocal parts.
    The orchestra was incredible. I will name the woodwinds and brass players.
    Flutes- Julius Baker and Harvey Estrin
    Oboe- Ronald Roseman
    Bassoon- Donald Mac Court
    Clarinets- Al Regni, Les Scott
    Saxophones-
    Alto-Seymour Red Press
    Tenor-George Marge
    Baritone- John Campo
    Bass-Wally Kane
    Trumpets- Wilmer Wise, Phil Ruecktenwald, David Gale
    Trombones- Douglas Edelman, Larry Benz
    Horns-Paul Ingraham, Robert Carlise
    Why we did not get album credits is beyond me.
    Wilmer

3. Billy B

Billy B Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2004
    Des Moines, IA
    I thought the Jerry Tyree was on the recording. My mistake. Was he in the original pit? Any good Jerry stories?

4. gchun

gchun Piano User

Dec 10, 2003
    WWS

Wilmer-

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I enjoyed the orchestra's performance on the cd and I loved the original Great Performances video about the making of the album. What a compliment to be singled out by Bernstein as a "genius lead trumpet" (or was it "genius first trumpet"?) Anyway, thanks for your reply.

Garry

5. wiseone2

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Sorry, I don't know Jerry Tyree.
    Gino Bazocco was the lead player in the original Broadway show, David Jandorf played second trumpet.
    Wilmer

6. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Watched the DVD today - BRAVO

I really enjoyed this DVD. I love documentary stuff anyway and this was just a treat all the way around. I enjoyed every minute. I love Lenny and his antics. I loved the sopranos - especially Kiri. I felt the uneasiness and tension when Carreras couldn't "get it right". And of course, I loved seeing and hearing the trumpets. :D All of the facial expressions and arm-waving in the recording booth were funny too.

7. wiseone2

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Re: Watched the DVD today - BRAVO

I wandered into the men's room before the first session, and there was the tenor, Carreras, warming up. Tenors like the sound of porcelain as much as brass players :lol:
    Wilmer

8. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Carreras

What amazed me about Jose Carreras was how "insecure" he seemed to be compared to everyone else at the time. He seemed so "green" and very nervous. Even Lenny made a comment on the film about him having "issues". Then there was the scene when he stormed out because they couldn't finish recording "Maria" without going into overtime. When it all came together though, Carreras sounded wonderful. And you're right Wilmer, those singers sure do like porcelain. LOL.

Wilmer, it must have been such an amazing experience to work with Maestro Lenny. He is one of my all-time favorite personalities in our field. Was it nerve-wrecking for you or did you just soak it all up? Either way, what an experience to have in the portfolio of your mind. Congrats and BRAVO. :thumbsup: