Western Carolina Trumpet Festival

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dizforprez, Jan 11, 2006.

1. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
  2. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    That be me! I really look forward to hearing Chris and saying hello to Larry Black and Cliff Blackburn again as well. Let's not forget, Byron Stripling will be quite a treat too!

See you Friday Diz.

3. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    So are we the only ones going from TM Alex?

We will have to get some pictures for everyone here.

4. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    I will be there. Leaving here friday morning. Look for me, im the tall ugly guy, probably wearing a UK hat. heh.

Maybe Ill get to play on chris martin's masterclass, that would rock!

5. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    I hate the fact that I can't go to this. Was actually planning to go with my buddy Rusty Smith (who will probably be there)... but got commitments this weekend that proclude me from attending.

It would be cool to meet some of you....maybe another time. (say, at the ITG?? ;-) I think if many of us go, we should devise some name tags with our TM names on them... (though, some may still want to remain annonymous! hahahaha)

Anyway...hope all that go have a great time. From talking to some folks who've gone in the past, it should be a very cool festival. Enjoy...

6. tpetplyr

tpetplyr Pianissimo User

Dec 15, 2003
    Boston
    I'd love to come...but my band director has us in rehersal ALL WEEKEND LONG (including monday...my day off!!) for the GMEA convention performance.

We're gonna have to get together SOMETIME jason...

Stuart

7. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    BRAVO to WCU for putting on a successful festival! It was great to meet new people and catch up with some old faces. I thoroughly enjoyed Chris Martin's master class and recital and will post about it sometime tomorrow. I just wanted to give kudos to Brad Ulrich for organizing such a nice time. I must add that it was in a beautiful location and everything was dusted in snow. It made for a nice drive there and back. Thanks again WCU!

(It was also nice to meet another TMer - JCStites. Great job on the the ensemble stuff. It was a pleasure to meet you!)

Diz, it was great to hang out with you. You were a perfect travel buddy and made it all that more fun. Thanks. (Do you feel laryngitis setting in? Somehow, talking trumpet for hours on end should do that, no? LOL) :grouphug:

8. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    Yes, It was a great weekend. I was haping you and diz were coming to the reception and the following events of the evening. It was loads of fun. Wish I had more time to talk to you guys, but driving 10 people around limited my time to myself.

Chris Martin as amazing as expected. So im 22, that gives me 8 years to sound like that, riiiiight.

9. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Josh,

it was great to meet you! Sorry we could not stick around; hopefully there will be other chances such as ITG.

Stuart,

I will let you know next time I am in Atlanta and I am sure we can work something out.

The Chris Martin master class went well; he covered topics such as how he mentally approaches the horn and how he prepares for recitals/auditions. Between listening to the master class and recital and talking shop with Alex all weekend I came away with quite a different perspective on a few things. I hope Alex will post a review soon so we can all discuss the topics covered.

10. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Yes, I promise to put up an outline of Chris Martin's master class with some commentary. It was very informative. I just need a little time to get it all together from my notes. ;-) Hopefully by tomorrow....Friday the latest.