Wet or dry lips... does it matter?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by _TrumpeT_, Jun 19, 2006.

1. _TrumpeT_

_TrumpeT_ Piano User

Apr 26, 2006
    Is playing with dry lips wrong? Thanks in advance.

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Not morally...

But if it bothers you, three Hail Marys and the Act of Contrition should take care of it.

No, there's nothing wrong with it. Maurice André played with a dry lip. I saw it for myself. Better yet, I heard it. After concerts he'd apply a liberal application of unsalted butter to his chops.

ML

3. blasticore

blasticore New Friend

Nov 15, 2003
    Orlando, FL

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  4. NickD

NickD Forte User

???????????????????

Manny, are you joking here? That seems pretty bizarre!

I have heard stories of some trumpeters bathing their lips in vinegar and water to keep them dry and tough. I also have some friends who will slather Carmex or similar salves all over their chops just befroe they play! They play with chops so wet they are glistening.

IMHO, do what works for you! Everyone is different!

Manny, did Andre really do that? ewwwww!

Nick

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Ha... no kidding, Nick, he did it. If you do a search there's a story i wrote about an incident with the butter he related to me.

ML

6. _TrumpeT_

_TrumpeT_ Piano User

Apr 26, 2006
    Manny... sorry to come back to this topic but I have a problem with my playing. When I play long phrases saliva builds up on my lips and inside the mouthpiece and I can't play at all. Do you have any ideas?

7. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Manny,

This butter story sound so french and so Maurice like...I bet he haven't miss to apply some red wine later :lol: I play with relatively dry lips too - if wet, the embouchure is kind of slippery (that's my feeling, but I suppose it's very personal)

Nick

P.S. I am surpised that there was not a croissant giong with the butter :lol:

8. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    There was a great trumpet player in Detroit, the late Burt Rosen.

He was a fabulous lead player and high note guy. He always carried and used Desitin, the diaper rash medication on his lips to keep them dry. He liked the way it smelled too.

Some like wet, some like dry.

-cw-

9. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I have been both. I played dry for years and years, always swabbing out the mouthpiece or swiping the rim across my shirt during playing. I liked the "anchored feeling" of playing dry. Any kind of moist feeling on the lips and rim was not a comfortable sensation for me. The problem was, I sweat much more on gigs, recitals, etc. than I do practicing. Also, while playing long phrases, you can't stop and swab out your mouthpiece and of course moisture builds. I began to see this need for a dry embouchure as a hindrance and a distraction. I had also read several times in "The Art of Brass Playing" (Farkas) that SOME moisture was necessary for a well-functioning embouchure. Well, I bit the bullet and began making myself lightly moisten the rim before playing. At first it was an awful "walking off the cliff" kind of feeling and the mouthpiece wanted to move a bit. When I stopped freaking out, I noticed it was moving to where the strongest vibration was located - eureka! Moisture allowed the mouthpiece to stay one with the buzz and simultaneously keep a seal. I have been playing with a lightly moist set-up for about ten years now and haven't looked back.

Oh, in response to Chuck's post about that man who used Desitin.... THAT S*** IS NASTY!!! I can't stand the smell of it. LOL. Any person who has changed diapers probably feels the same. LOL.

10. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Before Chopsaver, I used A&D ointment on my lips. People did comment that I smelled like a baby's butt.........

:-P