Wet or dry lips... does it matter?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by _TrumpeT_, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I'm a wet embouchre guy.

Lick lips, lick rim, place horn on face everytime!

I don't know why I've just always been that way. I can't play dry; I've tried it just feels so un-natural.

When not playing I keep my lips in shape with Good ole' Burts bees wax..

As for desitin DEAR GOD MAN! :shock:

I'm a father of three couldn't imagine putting that nasty putty on my face let alone my lips. :shock:

2. dcbrown1

dcbrown1 Pianissimo User

Oct 1, 2005
    Okay...perhaps I'll be the most bizzare. Side embrochure...top lip dry...bottom lip wet. I find that the dry top holds things in place well...and the wet bottom allows for flexibility. Dave Brown

3. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Yep. That is most certainly bizarre. :D

4. scream machine

scream machine Pianissimo User

Mar 26, 2006
    Woodland, AL
    WOW, me too!

5. dkelley

dkelley New Friend

Jan 16, 2006
    Well, I'm super wet. I slobber all over my lips and lick the mouthpeice. I find any dry spot to be disconcerting. I think it's because I have a lot of lip motion as I change notes. That may (I hope) go way as I refine by embouchure.

I'd never heard of keeping one lip dry and the other moist before reading about it online a couple month ago! To each his/her own!!

6. keigoh

keigoh Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2012
    Tokyo
    I've been playing with a wet embouchure for a long time by licking my lips, but lately the corners of my lips are starting to crack from licking them with saliva too much... :-/

7. Steve Works

Steve Works New Friend

Apr 19, 2013
    As with all wind/brass instruments it's not a good idea to play with dry lips. You have less control and it's harder to produce sound.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I use anhydrous lanolin on my lips, but only when I'm ready to sleep ... but then, I'm now also using a 2 liter feed of O2 via cannula. As for a saliva build up ... suck it and swallow it.

9. Stefen

Stefen Pianissimo User

Apr 1, 2013
    Sutton Bridge, LINCS. UK
    Have you considered looking at your tonguing action? the problem might lay there.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I don't play too wet or too dry... I play just right by licking my lips with my tongue between rests, the natural way, the way God designed us to do; therefore, the way God intended.

By the way Keigoh, were do you keep coming up breathing life into these zombies. We should officially make you the TM archivist.