Wet or dry lips!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by andredub, Jan 31, 2012.

1. andredub

andredub Pianissimo User

Oct 16, 2005
    Toronto
    Hi everyone. I'm curious (for no specific reason) to know who uses wet and who uses dry chops when they play. Also, for those who have experimented or are particularly sensitive to the benefits and drawbacks of one or the other, post what you have discovered over the years

Hope everyone here doing well!

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    In my over 45 years of playing it appears to be more common to talk about playing dry than it is to talk about wet. Because of that, it "appears" that the dry players have more issues requiring various cremes. I do not think that this view is representative.

I think that there are reasons why our tongue isn't half as long as it is, and that this reason is not to lick out bowls. Mother nature gave us a certain level of moisture to protect the outer layer of skin from things unnatural (like playing trumpet.......).

3. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    I play dry. Reasons...? More grip and more comfortable (for me).

Kujo

4. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Dry. I always feel like having "wet" lips causes me to slip around too much. That being said, I'll moisten the lips now and then, if having played for a while.

5. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Dry. Better grip and that is how I like it. But the mouthpiece cant be dry, the mouthpiece has to be somewhat wet.

6. jake g

jake g Pianissimo User

Nov 12, 2009
    63 years of continuous playing always wet.

7. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Been playing since 1984 myself. I prefer playing dry myself. The reason for me is that my lips are placed on the mouthpiece in such a way where my emboucher has developed to best control attack, pitch and phrasing. The lips will naturually moisten as you play just as Rowuk had stated (nature). Therefore, the reason you see many players wipe their lips and mouthpiece after playing consistent phrases of music.

I will say that there are time when my lips are severely chapped and my playing sounds very airy, if you can understand what I am saying. Feels that my lips are pushing the same amount of air but are not vibrating as much when the are not chapped. That's just me.

8. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    I used to play dry; now I play wet. Why the change? I started playing in stifling hot nightclubs, where I couldn't keep my lips dry -- too sweaty.

9. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I find that I play my best "moist"... If I haven't played for a while during the gig, I want to avoid putting a dry mouthpiece to my face if I must play lyrically. Therefore, I generally play my flugel wetter tha my trumpet. The register comes into account also. If I am playing above the staff, I find that anything too moist makes it more difficult to attack notes cleanly and play (more) accurately. This is the long way of saying that I play on the dry side, and as I play for longer periods without lowering the horn, the mouthpiece gets wetter. If necessary, i will wipe my lips, usually not the mouthpiece.

Now that I have thoroughly clouded the issue....

10. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    I'm sure this subject has already been treated several years ago, in the form of a poll, I think. It would be interesting to find the thread, but I can not ... :dontknow: