Wet or dry lips!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by andredub, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I don't like any grip on the mpc. I play wet. I lick my lips before and during playing. This way I feel that the mpc and the lips are each doing their jobs. It also allows me extreme flexbilty. But I have students who need to play dry.

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    You must not do any kind of marching band.....

kingtrumpet likes this.
  3. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    As you see, it varies from person to person. Those that have chops that grip the mouthpiece probably prefer dry. At least I do. I lose the grip with wet.

4. sorahauk

sorahauk New Friend

Oct 19, 2011
    TN
    Wet. When I play dry, I cannot get a sound out. All that comes out of the bell is air, so that means my lips are not vibrating in the mouthpiece. I play wet because it's far easier to switch notes, but that's just because I am in a jazz band and have parts requiring a lot of lipshakes, and those are simply impossible when my lips are dry. I understand what people mean by "better grip", but that means usually that they lack proper technique when it comes to sustaining a note. But eh, dont listen to a thing I say. I'm only a freshman in high school. :p

5. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Many professionals with great technique use dry for this reason.

6. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    mark, you really don't know this to be true.

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Not since high school and I'm glad I don't. But I have made my living playing trumpet for 44 years.

8. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    You're right, I should reword that --
    Professionals which I have met with, many of them, even the majority of them, have told me they use dry when I asked. However, this is probably around only 5-10 individuals. I did not mean to imply the majority of all professionals, either.

Regardless, this leads me to believe that the dry setting is not the result of "improper technique", but rather preference.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
    codyb226 likes this.
  9. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    What does playing in a marching band have to do with it?

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Dry or wet? This is a psych issue... Physiologically, if you are well hydrated (body water at euvolemic state which most of us will be when we play) it doesn’t matter. What matters is if you like your lips to better control being stuck at on set point on the mouthpiece, or the flexibility to move around a little more (more moisture) to help embellish notes. When you are comfortable with your level of flexibility to direct your focus, you are psyched to play well, whether you are a "wet" player or "dry" player.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012