Wet vs. Dry

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bear, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Ok folxs, let's hear it. Pros and cons and what you prefer!

Wet lips vs. Dry lips: Discuss!!

2. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    dry on a gold-plated MP.

3. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    I just can't see how anyone could play on dry lips. I just dont think I can get a full a buzz unless I wet my lips..

Van

4. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    Dry, and Kelly mouthpieces have the best feel for a dry embochure.

5. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    come on folxs, explain why. For example, I play with wet lips. I find that when my lips are wet my mpc can move around a lil better and then I have better range, flexibility, etc. When dry, it seems like I can't get a buzz goin' and can barely play the horn. I don't really care about what mpc you use. I wanna know wet or dry and why. What are the pros/cons of such?

6. eoliver

eoliver Pianissimo User

Nov 15, 2004
    Albuquerque, NM
    I can't play wet to save my life. Maybe cuz I use too much pressure and it causes the MP to move on my face. I play totally dry. I wipe my lips all the time, and even dry the mp. Wet, I lose range and flexibility.

7. jpkaminga

jpkaminga Pianissimo User

Jul 1, 2004
    Boston
    I don't coat my lips with saliva before I put them to the mouthpiece but I also wouldn't say that I play with a dry embouchure, it just seems like once I start playing the lips get a little moist, i think its a little from spit that gets blown through the lips when tonguing and a little from the condensation that happens in the cup of the mouthpiece, I have tried licking my lips before playing and it definitely doesn't work for me, my lips just don't feel stable enough when they're so wet, on the other hand I can't imagine playing with totally dry lips, it seems like the vibrating parts in the middle of the lips have to be wet in order to slur efficiently