WHAT A CHRISTMAS PRESENT!

Discussion in 'Horns' started by tom turner, Dec 26, 2004.

1. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    I got a huge surprise this Christmas . . . a new silver Wild Thing fluglehorn!

Gee . . . I didn't think Santa thought I was being good . . . much less THAT good!

In any event, I now don't have to either worry about messing up my WT demo fluglehorn or having to (grrrrr) play my Couesnon to be safe.

The WT fluglehorn is the only one that ever bested my '72 Couesnon that I bought new while in an Army band.

What a GREAT Christmas!!! Man, that "thing" plays NICE TOO!!!

Tom Turner

2. fatpauly

fatpauly Pianissimo User

Nov 11, 2003
    Ellicott City, Maryland
    Congratulations, Tom! Sounds like you were especially good this year. I know you were good to me, letting me try the Wild Thing for a week. That was a blast.

Santa came a week early to me disguised as a DHL delivery man. He dropped off my latest ebay gamble - a 1947 Conn 48B Vocabell. Horn looked a little rough in the finish and the mouthpiece is stuck in the receiver, but a vigorous hot water bath, scrub, and aftercoat of Flitz made the old girl really shine. Amazing thing of it all - the valves look almost brand new with fantastic compression (3rd slide even springs back when let go), and the mouthpiece is really comfortable for me.

I took it to my last Christmas concert this week and was completely impressed with the bight tone, range, intonation, and overall fun of playing this old girl. Eventually, I will have my tech pull the mouthpiece and roll out a small ding in the bell, and will also have this baby refinished somehow further down the road, but for now, I am enjoying her as she is.

Baseball been berry, berry good to Chico! Enjoy your newest Wild Thing!

- Paul Artola
    Ellicott City, Maryland

3. tom turner

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Cool Paul!

I've always lusted after a Vocabell myself. Those are neat looking and valuable horns.

Enjoy!

Tom

4. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Tom,

You must have been a real good boy to say the least!

Jim

5. tom turner

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Not as good as YOU . . . for you saved the TM site.

Thanks once again for doing so Jim!!!

Sincererly,

Tom

6. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Ah, just a snowbound Minster of Music with some computer know how lending a hand. Kind of gave me something to do since we had both Christmas Eve and Christmas Sunday services cancelled due to weather.

7. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    Tom, did you get the snazzy wood case that holds both a WT trumpet and flugelhorn? I saw a guy that had one of those once and what a good looking case.