What a...facsimile, perhaps...

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by ConnDirectorFan, Jan 6, 2017.

1. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
  2. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    New Zealand
    O' do I see with me beautiful eyes, oh glorious copy by thou great Taiwan firm?

Yes, I do! I perhaps think it is a Connstellation Copy in me glorious mind......

Oh, what compliments from the factory with thy glorious Conn 4 copy?

3. ConnDirectorFan

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    I was going to go with 15B Director copy, but I guess that works...
    [a few Selmer Melody Makers are marked STR-107, and this model became the STR-100 in 1983...I have a Mello Tone Taiwan herald trumpet with virtually the same valve block, and the pistons are bottom-sprung similar to Conn in even that respect...]

4. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    New Zealand
    Didn't you share with us a York trumpet made in Taiwan, last year that looked like a Connstellation?

I really must try to get a MusikHaus Lange Apollo trumpet, its a connstellation copy and apparently even a better horn!

5. ConnDirectorFan

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    I only recall a Roland Meinl "New Constellation", Roedig, DEG, and a few other KHS 28B mimics; there are some Chinese Yorks that are 38B-inspired.
    I recently archived a Gebr. Alexander that looked like a Monke, though EMO or others could have possibly made it...

6. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Are these copy's anywhere close to original in the way they play?

7. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    I thin the best copy's of the connstelations being made right now are by kanstul and Adam's- both not cheap but are supposed to be phenomenal horns.

8. ConnDirectorFan

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    The Kanstullation and Adams apparently do. These KHS horns, I have yet to find out, but the Conn 3B/6B herald copy is a nightmare...!

9. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    I often wonder how far off the import copy's of great American horns really are. Other than the valves I feel the Cecilio 3 series is a pretty good Bach copy.

10. ConnDirectorFan

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    Amati's older pistons aren't bad; they refer to "special acoustic brass" in their catalogs but I really wonder how "acoustic" it is...the Festival trumpet seems to be a Strad-37-inspired horn, so if I can negotiate down this price...

Regarding KHS copies, I have a few perspectives regarding a cornet they made, that eventually became the Jupiter SCR-520 in 1983...the KHS "British-style" cornet from the late 1960s until about 1988 [they revised the design in 1986 but some old-style horns have serials dating to 1988]...

I have the Conservarte [Kaman] version but they all share a Besson-inspired [Amati B-1040] wrap with dual tuning slides [main slide and removable knuckle for tuning in A]. It's not perfect, but it's sturdily-built, has a reasonably mellow sound with a deep mouthpiece, and the valves work well. Solid nickel inner slides were a nice surprise, and ChopsGone sums it up well with the "Revere by Stradolin" example [mine isn't marked Taiwan]:

"In the ballpark" perhaps

In addition to Jupiter SCR-520, I've seen it as Conservarte [Kaman], Revere by Stradolin, Swallow [KHS used to claim it as their first band inst. brand from 1957; most examples seem to be from 1969 and beyond], Melody Maker [Selmer UK branch], and Artist [or Artiste]...