What a terrific big SOUND that Harry James had

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mhendricks, Mar 11, 2014.

1. mhendricks

mhendricks Pianissimo User

2. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    I agree, his sound is distinctive, you can pick him out in old recordings even going way back before he was famous....

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Harry was the best.

4. mhendricks

mhendricks Pianissimo User

5. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Like the one poster there said,,"There's two kinds of trumpet players, Harry James, and all the rest who wish they were Harry James". Doubt if we'll ever see his equal again:oops:

6. some_blue

some_blue Pianissimo User

Jan 21, 2004
    Great Stuff, Thanks for posting!

7. trackday

trackday Pianissimo User

Apr 8, 2013
    Internet win, thank you! Now I know who Harry James is....

8. peanuts56

peanuts56 Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2009
    Harry could flat out play. He could play anything. Legit, jazz, swing, lead, you name it and he could play it. I had a great uncle who made his living as a trumpet player in the days when theaters kept musicians on staff. He was quite old when I came along in 1956 so I really did not hear him play too much. He learned to play in Italy and was quite a musician from what I was told by some old timers who knew him. I know he was a great admirer of Harry James. I also know that he was not a man who was easily impressed. If my Uncle Louie said Harry could play, I knew that was the truth. I wish I had gotten a chance to hear him live. My loss.

9. some_blue

some_blue Pianissimo User

Jan 21, 2004
    Loved it! Does anyone know why, at 101 years old "You Made Me Love You" is not in the public domain? I understand copyrights are renewable, just thought there was an end-date... Thanks. Beautiful Stuff And a ditto to the OP, I can just almost imagine this stuff had it been recorded with "modern" technology. Excelsior ...

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Now you know what a Parduba double cup mouthpiece can do with some players.