What a terrific big SOUND that Harry James had

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mhendricks, Mar 11, 2014.

1. robeebee

robeebee Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    Absolute legend

Especially for the amount he used to drink

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    As any Rev-head will tell you "Good Lubrication is the basis of great High Performance"

Harry James has "that" sound that all Brassmen want to have on their horns. There were many that tried to mimic it, and many that still try to get that clearness to attack and runs. He was truly a master on the horn.

When I was a young'un I first heard Harry James play "This Guy's In Love" on a Reader's Digest record. I was not even playing trumpet at that time, but it was the song that made me stop and go find out who was the player. Of course that led me to listen to a lot more of him.

Never knock the Elevator music - it can influence music in people's lives.
    Thanks Mr James for the Memories.

3. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    I read a recent bio and wished I had not because the best use of words should be something better than tossing mud on the author's subject.

Mud spots all of us. Somehow that salient fact is lost in modern biography. Same thing with a bio about Lenny.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    For some imbibing the spirit will induce the tranquillity and lessen the tension that causes others to falter.

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    ...and the number he used to . . . ;-)

The man was just fabulous. As a kid, I spent hours sitting on the floor in front of the record player listening to Harry's iconic recordings. A little later, listening to the soundtrack to "Young Man with a Horn", great solos and tunes with Doris Day. His sound was so distinctive.

IMO, he had some fine bands in the 60s and 70s which didn't get a lot of recognition. Some of the bands had great players in them, like lead altoist Willie Smith or Buddy Rich. His seventies band had a Basie vibe to it. The programming I've heard is fairly predictable, but still I think the band could've gotten more respect.

The Peter Levinson biography, "Trumpet Blues: The Life of Harry James" is a good read and, I understand, fairly accurate. His was an incredible story.

Here's a clip from his 60s band in Japan. Maybe a teeny bit ragged but, hey, it's a tour . . . of JAPAN! You don't expect them to spend all their time in their hotel rooms doing long tones, what?!

"Traps the Drum Wonder" on drums, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-Zvep7F-YA

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Ed,
    I will stray Off Topic for a short time: [​IMG]
    You have summed up the Aussie phsyc... we love tranquility, and hate tension.

We have XXXX for tranquilty, and VB for tension, just before we Swan off and Cascade down to have a Toohey's or Two after a Hard Day's Draught work. Occasionally we are known to Foster a liking to share both a Pure Blond and a Corona when the right mood strikes.

Here is my favourite tune of Mr. Harry James; it hooked me to his sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gAqPipJwLk

7. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
  8. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
  9. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    I've often wondered how amazing players like Harry, and even more so, Bunny, did it..........

10. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Interesting to note, strict father and Arban...... Hmmmmm Sounds familiar,,,,,,,,,,,,,