What about Maria ??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Chuck Cox, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    This will be the third Christmas that I have wanted to perform Schubert's Ave Maria. It has been disappointment after disappointment for the past 2 Christmasses as life kept getting in the way. The long running comment with my wife has been " What about Maria ? ". Maria had to wait. There were far more important things that needed attention at the time.

Last night at Apex United Methodist Church, I performed for Maria. It was extremely emotional and satisfying. It could not have gone any better. Not a miscentered note. Not a missed dynamic from pianissimo to double forte. It was more than just me last night if you can believe that. I felt strong and comfortable in that beautiful sanctuary full of it's magnificent glass panes and and almost haunting accoustics. If I never play another note again, I will always have the memory of performing for Maria last night. Merry Christmas to all.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Chuck, I never counted, but being a Protestant, I still do believe I have more Catholic friends than Protestant. What does this mean? I have a CD entitled The Christmas Collection as begins with my all instrument rendition of Silent Night and ends with a solo rendition on my Protestant release, but my Catholic release ends with Schubert's Ave Maria played on all my instruments. You said it well, that song haunts you deep into your soul and focuses your mind on the Nativity of the real Christmas. May the Star of the East signifying Christ's birth, shine on everyone.

3. flacoman

flacoman Pianissimo User

Oct 4, 2011
    That's why I said in the vintage horn board , that souls flow through the bells of horns. Things like that keep me practicing ;to open that path of expression , whatever the motivation may be .

4. JediYoda

JediYoda Mezzo Piano User

Sep 25, 2010
    State of Confusion
    Chuck -- as a trumpet player and a professional vocalist/conductor every Christmas Season I look for one defining moment when I can say -- YES!! It`s Christmas!!
    I totally understand your feelings towards the Ave maria!!

I do not believe you could haver said this any better --
    I had the honor of conducting a 150 voice choir singing the Franz Beibl -- Ave Maria!! To say it was moving and stirred my soul is a huge [email protected]!!

God Bless you all!! Merry Christmas!!!! YES!! It`s Christmas!!

Also here is another version of Ave maria played on the Trumpet -- it is the Cacinni version -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t87hjK5xww&feature=related

5. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Thanks for the PM's and emails with so many examples of Ave Maria. I think I am going to be inundated with different vocals and instrumentations of Ave Maria this Christmas from you guys. I can't think of a nicer gift ! I listen to all of them and their stories with my wife. I debated whether or not to video record but thought that would a bit selfish and not true to the meaning. Thanks again, Chuck.