What about this valve compression?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by LeatherLips, Jan 10, 2012.

1. LeatherLips

LeatherLips New Friend

Dec 22, 2008
    Just bought a new horn, and I'm wondering about valve compression and what is considered "normal". The first Valve has an audible "pop" when I pull out the first slide then depress the first valve. (I assume this is an indication that the compression is good?).
    However, when I do the same with the third valve slide/valve, the pop is Much less pronounces (very little "pop"). Also, I can "feel" the first valve slide wanting to spring back when I pull it out without depressing the valve. Not so with the Third valve.
    Since it's a new horn, I just wondered if this is unusual or something to be concerned about. The horn plays fine and I don't notice any issue, so my only concern is that there could be an issue that would show up later...
    THANKS!

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Does the 3rd slide move a lot easier than the 1st? My horns are set up for a very easy 3rd slide movement, so there's less suction on that slide when it's pulled. The valve still seals fine, but there's less "pop" when the slide is pulled quickly.

3. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I doubt that there is a leak, but look anyways. Take the first slide out and put your thumb over the top hole so the air stops there. Depress all the valves and blow, no air should come out. I think Dave has this one right, does the slide move fast?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    If the horn is well made all the slides should be fairly air tight and the 3rd slide should move like a trombone slide. The pop on the 3rd slide should be louder that that on the 1st slide. Quality control being what it is on some makes I would have a technician do a compression check.

5. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    How do you get that? Are you saying that the 1st valve slide doesnt have the same amount of compression? Is it because of the length of tubing?

6. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    To the OP: if the third slide has a water key or dump-slide, those are potential leak points. Any leak will reduce the pop.

7. LeatherLips

LeatherLips New Friend

Dec 22, 2008
    OK, I tried the removal of the first slide and putting my finger over the top tube. I can't blow through it at that point, I assume that means no leak. SO, perhaps it's that the third valve is not as "tight" as the first valve and the air seeps through it faster than it does the first valve (thus the noticeable difference in "pop")?
    At least I know it's not a leak, and maybe nothing to worry about. I could use a thicker valve oil in the third valve only :-)

8. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    That is good, very good.

Or some slide grease, that helps seal the air in.

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Since the third valve compression is good, I think Nieuwguyski has it right. It may be that the cork on your third valve slide is new and just not settled in to make a tight seal. Take a look at it.

10. forrest

forrest Piano User

Aug 14, 2007
    St Louis MO
    If I bought a new horn, I'd take it back to where I bought it and ask them to look at it, before I started tinkering with it.

Putting any heavier oil or slide grease (?) on the third valve doesn't fix the problem - it masks it and may make the problem worse.