What about this valve compression?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by LeatherLips, Jan 10, 2012.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    The longer the slide the greater the vacumn Cody

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Okay, that makes sense, until I take in account that the 2nd valve slide seems to pop the loudest on almost all of the trumpets I play. But I dont go around and pop peoples slides.

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I bet that has to do with the pitch of the pop ... shorter slide higher pitch ..... I can't believe I am actually talking about this.. I need to go practice...out

bumblebee likes this.
  4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have a Holton cornet from 1911 and it has essentially no compression any more. My grandfather used to oil it with spit. It is a great player though, in tune, secure feeling. The same more or less applies to my 1938 Heckel rotary Bb. Incredible player. That would imply a great overrating of compression when applied to the valves of trumpets.

Current building practice for rotary valve even has a hole drilled in the part of the valve casing not used for rerouting the standing wave. The valve no longer pop at all. Only the standing wave routes are really tightly sealed.

I am not sure that every trumpet needs snap, crackle, pop.

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I wonder if players who can produce a tone more efficiently use less air which lessens the need for perfect compression.

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    okay I had my coffee, now so I am less grouchy

7. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    coolerdave likes this.
  8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That's the 1st thing I thought. Being trumpet players, higher is better! :D 3rd valve slide would be the lowest pitch so may be perceived as less compressed. I have a Chas. George Vega with little to no compression but it still plays well. The trumpet that I've seen with the most/loudest pop was on the wall of a music store. It was a student horn and played poorly.

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
  10. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Guys, all of you have completely ignored that the third valve slide is a longer than the first slide, therefore has a greater volume of air in it. You pull it out about the same amount and the vacuum in the first slide will be a lot higher.

Tom