What about this valve compression?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by LeatherLips, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    This thread should be called "slide compression," as that is what everyone is talking about.

As I've learned (the hard way) when I bought this Ambassador that I have right here, a horn needs both good valve compression (valves up to spec, with good surfaces, and a good seal between ports and the ends of the pistons), as well as slides that have good seal...which this horn has neither of...and, plays like it's been run over by a truck.

Not only should the slides give a nice pop (and even pull back a bit when pulled), the valves should give some kind of thump when you first take the horn out of the case...especially when you've taken the horn somewhere in the car...as my Bundy's valves do....which plays fine.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  2. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
  3. MVF

MVF Pianissimo User

Sep 10, 2010
    SoCal
    Ok, since I believe the correct answer has already been given and overlooked, I'm going to go ahead and throw myself under the bus and look really stupid to save a fellow forumite. Here goes:

When I had Kanstul refinish my '51 Special I didn't ask them to do anything to the valves since Zig, himself, checked them and declared them good. When I got the horn back (it was gorgeous!) I took it apart to clean it and noticed the valves looked different. When I put it back together, I checked the compression because of that and had the same "problem" as the OP.

After a phone call, I took the horn all the way back to Kanstul (@50 miles). Zig looked at it, played with it and showed me that he had replaced the cork in the 3rd slide. He gave it a firm press to seat it it, and lo and behold- POP!

After all that, I sure hope that's your problem!