What About You???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Nov 22, 2011.

1. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Everyone has a place in their mind that says if I could only ___________ , I could die with a smile on my face. For some it would be to share the stage with one of their heroes. For others it would be to be the headlining act while playing as well as one of their heroes. For others it it would be to masterfully perform just one piece of music that is out of their reach. I find that this changes for me as I continue to practice and improve. It used to be that if I could play like Maynard. Now I have matured a little and think if I could just play like Doc, or Maurice Andre. There is another side that says just keep working to be the best I can be and be happy with someday being able to share the stage with players of this caliber as a peer. My end goal is to be a very active musician that is able to feel comfortable sitting down at any playing situation and have fun while doing it. Practice and being around the right people will be what makes this happen.

I believe it is important to ask yourself these questions. It helps to understand the motivation to keep working at mastering the instrument that we have chosen. The trumpet is a lot like a woman. She can be beautiful and fun to play with, but can make life very difficult at the same time.

What about you? What keeps you wrestling with your horn everyday? :play:

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Not if you have the right woman (partner). EVERYTHING is easier with the right partner.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    My goal is to sound and play like Gary Onady. Developing my own sound IS the goal, having a voice, one that anyone would recognize should be the ultimate goal. In answering your question:

What keeps you wrestling with your horn everyday? To sound like Gary Onady and NOT Lee Morgan (my hero); Maurice Andre; Chet Baker; Chris Botti...
    THAT my friends is MY challenge to all of you here on TM!

4. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    Amen gmonady!

It is my dream to design and build trumpets/cornets & flugelhorns some day...I just need a mentor to teach me!

I'll also add that I would LOVE to learn from my musical heroes: Dizzy Gillespie, Chet Baker, Claudio Roditi, Art Farmer, Roy Hargorve, Adam Rapa, Thomas Gansch, Rashawn Ross, Wynton Marsalis, Chris Botti....etc...etc...

Kujo

5. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Interesting question that evokes multiple responses depending on my mood. At the present, it want to be good enough to be an asset in whatever band I play in. That also means overcoming my sight reading limitation to be able to sit in where ever I want or where ever I am needed to help out.

BrotherBACH

6. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    I'm a comeback player, approaching 50. No grandiose expectations for trumpet. Just want to be able to do a couple background music gigs with a drum machine or something. And I don't want to think, hey I'm just faking my way through. That means being comfortable in all keys, with chromatics, reasonable range, pleasant tone at any volume...you know, the fundamentals. (My first go round on sax was very successful but I faked my way through alot.)

That and the fact that the horn doesn't say "can i have a few bucks dad" everytime I'm in the same room with it :) .

7. jtpowell

jtpowell Pianissimo User

Mar 15, 2011
    Cincinnati
    To busk on the street or in a park on a nice summer/spring day and make people smile.

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  8. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I have to admit I needed to look up the word "busk" but now I know- thanks for the vocabulary lesson!
    My wish is simply to be asked to play by a decent group and really be sought after!

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Yes, I agree ..... Amen, Gmonady. The very best any trumpet player can hope for is to be the finest version of themselves they can bring forth.

e.g.: During my 2 years of singing lessons, I asked my coach who I could listen to, a famous singer, who had gone through the same vocal training ("Vocal Ease"). He suggested Luther Vandross, who had taken 8 years of lessons in L.A. with the man who created the training program. I bought a few CDs. I was completely blown away by Luther Vandross (he's awesome) and went in to my next lesson demanding to learn to sing like this guy!!!:lol:

I got the standard "skinny white guy wants to be a soul singer" speech.:-( Not that there's anything wrong with wanting to sing like those guys ... it's just that you can't no matter how hard you try .... It's always an imitation. The only genuine voice you can have is the one that sounds like you.

That was disappointing but the good news was that ...... Nobody else gets to sound like you. Go for your own voice!

Turtle

10. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    That is what I would get too.