What About You???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Nov 22, 2011.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    OH my -- maybe I should consider moving to Australia --hopefully they are not as backwards as the USA and would offer some beverages to reduce the pain of my arthritis. I am already wondering WHAT I DID WRONG!!!!! -- obviously I can't turn back the hands of time --- so I play the trumpet to reduce the ominous prospect of the future as an old bachelor ---- Playing the trumpet relieves the idea of the reality I live in at the current moment.

ps. HEY XJB -- your thread is turning out to be very therapuetic for me --- I am finding out that I have more than 1 reason that I play the trumpet --- and in reality XJB, I will ultimately find out that the most important reason that I plat the trumpet --- is that WHEN I DONT PLAY THE TRUMPET -- then part of who I am --- seems to be MISSING.

tedh1951 likes this.
  2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    King Trumpet, while you may not have followed all my travails of dental and health issues, I will concur with you about "something missing" when you are not making the sounds of brass music. That said, I know of no where in the world that serves an alcoholic beverage in a geriatric home. Too, when you take as many meds as I now do, you'll believe the devil is pulling you down to hell when you mix them with alcohol. The odditities is that my wife presently sells alcoholic beverages by the bottle in an NC alcohol beverage control retail store and I once once upon a time an absolute drunk, so much so that I still wonder how I had no incident that required law inforcement interdiction. Then, I did lose 2 cars because I simply couldn't find them and was so drunk that I didn't care. Too, oh the horrors when I woke up in places that were grossly terrible with an empty wallet. At least I was smart enough to pack my ID in my shoe and not carry credit cards when I went on a spree.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This normally means that you never get to sit with good people. They only want mature players that help the music be the best that it can - not waive a personal axe. Cooperative players get asked to come back.

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    You don't know you've had too much until you're awakened from a deep deep sleep in a Monsoon Drain in Old Singapore by the cockroaches crawling inside your jocks - true story (Monnie Drains are quite comfortable and warm 'cos they're out of the breeze - they get a bit awkward when it rains though).

5. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    Maybe i should re-phrase my last post, things can get all bent out of context , what i meant to say was...
    I'm not good enough yet to be able to "sit in" with anyone's group or band, but i want to be,... and I will be someday,... and when that time comes i want to be VERY GOOD.

I just want the ability to be able to play in any setting, and hold my own.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    YUP - I have been there, and done that also, woke up many a time sleeping in someone else's front yard. I was a very miserable drunk. By the Grace of God, my life was changed --- that is why I always try to remain grateful and help others when I am able.

7. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    It's still conceit - because no player ever will be that good. There will always be settings - or pieces of music - that will overtax us. Even Maurice André politely declined when Alfred Schnittke composed a trumpet concerto for him - he said it was totally unplayable.

This year it was the official test piece for the Munich ARD Music competition in the trumpet class, and three young players performed it in front of a huge audience.

Settings change, you know; and no human being is fast or flexible enough to change with all of them.

Just you learn all the Arban études by heart, and perform them in your parish hall, with two hundred people present - then you will learn humility.

8. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    In our Swing Band, we had a bass trombone player who regularly passed out drunk after gigs. One early morning, we delivered him back home and as his wife would not answer the door bell, we just draped him over the wrought-iron railings in front of the door - belly downward - and left him there. Only way to do it, because he was, well, returning the food and drink he had had back to nature the wrong way, and we did not want him to suffocate.
    We had not reckoned with his wife being somewhat annoyed at his regular reappearances in his state. Twelve hours later, I happened to pass his house, and he was still draped over the rail... only his wife had made sure that he did not fall down by securely tying his hands and feet together. Somewhat incredulous, I stopped and looked closer, and and that moment his - admittedly - dragon of a wife came out, whacked his behind several times with a pliable cane, gave him a very large piece of her mind and then returned inside. The local police were called but were disinclined to take any action because they had had so many dealings with him before, and it was only after another 24 hours of this kind of treatment that he was finally released.

The positive side of it is: It worked! From that day onwards, the guy was totally dry - only much more morose than in his earlier life.

9. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    I'll probably just quit then.

Thanks for the advice/support guys.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    winners never quit, and quitters never win!!!!!!!!!!! BUT you decide that!!!!!!!!!