What About You???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Nov 22, 2011.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    In this part of the country we usually call that "DRAGON OF A WIFE" as an attitude adjuster --- it sounds so much nicer.. Obviously your trombone player needed her to pursuade him into a healthier lifestyle --- +1 for having a good wife, with a proper perspective on your health ROFL ROFL ROFL

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Newbie, you hang in there man. I was not good enough to be able to "sit in", so I rehearsed until I was adequate. When I became adequate, I sat in, taking only solos that were basic and simple, with simple ideas. The venues were non-threatening (private pool parties) and the rehearsals with the group. Then a few more lawn parties (we were the rave the lawn party circuit), and more rehearsing. Then stoked up a relationship with a coffee house manager and played for free once a week for a little over a year. This was my combo 101 lab course. Over several years, I started sitting in with jazz club Jam Sessions. Every one there was supportive and gave constructive feedback, attitudes were left at the door. That went on for 2-3 years, and at the end of this lab course, I thought I was ready to play as a sideman at local clubs. Progression continued, and with networking with area musicians, a connection was made toward forming a steady group. We rehearsed intensely for several months, cut a demo CD, then marketed clubs. Took us about a year, but we "lucked" into a steady gig with a Cincinnati club, developed a following, more networking and change in band personnel, then change in bands and the level of performance graduated to the professional level. I started the Jam Sessions in 1991 that was responsible for launching my local reputation as a jazz musician. It is now 2011, 20 years later, and I'm there at professional.

It takes time, it takes passion. If you can accept these two basic requirements, then please do not quit. You hang in there man.

3. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    It has just struck me that I know why I ask these questions. You do not because you have obviously known who and what you are for some time. That is great. I truly hope to be there some day.

For those of us that have not achieved self awareness it is very important to ask, "why am I doing this?". It is difficult to nearly impossible to achieve lofty goals if the motivation is not pure. Either you do something because you love it or for lesser reasons. I played in school because I found it to be one the few things I could do well back then. I developed the look at me big fish in a little pond attitude. That sets a person up for major failure when they get dropped into a bigger pond. Now I do it because I love it. The last couple of years have been very challenging to me as a player. I have been on a fast track to learn and perform material at a faster pace than ever before with less time than ever. Had I been faced with the same challenge with my old attitude I would have stopped playing and did without even trying to take on more challenging things. I didn't have the resolve to fail and get back up because the motivation wasn't pure. Now I do it because I learn more from the failures and can't stand the thought of not getting back up an playing.

Some things are required. You have to go to work to pay bills to take care of your family. Quitting is not an option. The optional things in life only become required if you have the right motivation so it is very important to understand WHY.

Self awareness is a very powerful tool. I know what I want and where I want to go in respect to playing the trumpet. I have also come to the realization that I will need help and direction to get there.

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Here is what I am striving for: (long but worth it) Trumpet is a part of "A musician must make music"

Maslow's Traits of Self Actualized People
    by Michael Tivana

This is a list of the qualities of the superior human being from Abraham Maslow, the founder of humanistic psychology.

Dr. Maslow summed up the concept of Self-Actualization as:

"A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write, if he is to be at peace with himself. What a man can be, he must be. This is the need we may call self-actualization ... referring to a person's desire for fulfillment, namely to the tendency to become actually what we are potentially ..."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Characteristics of Self Actualizing People

Realistic
    Realistically oriented, a Self-Actualizing (SA) person has a more efficient perception of reality, and has comfortable relations with it. This is extended to all areas of life. A Self-Actualizing person is unthreatened and unfrightened by the unknown. He has a superior ability to reason, to see the truth, and is logical and efficient.

Self Acceptance
    Accepts himself, others, and the natural world the way they are. Sees human nature as is, has a lack of crippling guilt or shame, enjoys himself without regret or apology, and has no unnecessary inhibitions.

Spontaneity, Simplicity, Naturalness
    Spontaneous in his inner life. Thoughts and impulses are unhampered by convention. His ethics are autonomous, and Self-actualizing individuals are motivated to continual growth.

Focus of Problem Centering
    A Self-actualizing person focuses on problems and people outside of himself. He has a mission in life requiring much energy, as it is his sole reason for existence. He is serene, characterized by a lack of worry, and is devoted to duty.

Detachment: The Need for Privacy
    The Self-actualized person can be alone and not be lonely, is unflappable, and retains dignity amid confusion and personal misfortunes, all the while remaining objective. He is a self starter, is responsible for himself, and owns his behavior.

Autonomy: Independent of Culture and Environment
    The SA person has a fresh rather than stereotyped appreciation of people and the basic good in life. Moment to moment living for him is thrilling, transcending, and spiritual as he lives the present moment to the fullest.

Frequent Peak experiences
    "Feelings of limitless horizons opening up to the vision, the feeling of being simultaneously more powerful and also more helpless than one ever was before, the feeling of ecstasy and wonder and awe, the loss of placement in time and space with, finally, the conviction that something extremely important and valuable had happened, so that the subject was to some extent transformed and strengthened even in his daily life by such experiences." -- Abraham Maslow

Interpersonal relations
    Identification, sympathy, affection for mankind, kinship with the good, bad, and ugly are all traits of the SA person. Truth is clear to him as he can see things others cannot. He has profound, intimate relationships with few and is capable of greater love than others consider possible as he shares his benevolence, affection, and friendliness with everyone.

Democratic values and attitudes
    The SA person is able to learn from anyone, is humble and friendly with anyone regardless of class, education, political belief, race or color.

Discrimination: means and ends, Good and Evil
    The SA does not confuse between means and ends and does no wrong. He enjoys the here and now, getting to goal--not just the result. He makes the most tedious task an enjoyable game and has his own inner moral standards (appearing amoral to others).

Philosophical, unhostile sense of humor
    Jokes to the SA person are teaching metaphors, intrinsic to the situation and are spontaneous. He can laugh at himself, but he never makes jokes that hurt others.

Creativity
    The SA person enjoys an inborn uniqueness that carries over into everything he does, is original, inventive, uninhibited, and he sees the real and true more easily.

Resistance to enculturation: Transcendence of any particular culture
    SA people have an inner detachment from culture. Although folkways may be observed, SA people are not controlled by them. Working for long term culture improvement, indignation with injustice, inner autonomy, outer acceptance, and the ability to transcend the environment rather than just cope are intrinsic to SA people.

Imperfections
    SA people are painfully aware of their own imperfections and joyfully aware of their own growth process. They are impatient with themselves when stuck and feel real life pain as a result.

Values
    The SA person is realistically human due to a philosophical acceptance of self, human nature, social life, physical reality, and nature.

Resolution of dichotomies
    Polar opposites merge into a third, higher phenomenon as though the two have united; therefore, opposite forces are no longer felt as conflict. To the SA person work becomes play and desires are in excellent accord with reason. The SA person retains his childlike qualities yet is very wise.

Everyone has lived some of these qualities at some point in their lives. Maintaining these qualities into a life-style is key. This is aided by a number of things from choosing ones friends for support, to implementing self-discipline to stay the course. In all the people create a supporting culture to enforce their desires to be a better human being. For example, the Hawaiian culture chose to greet and leave each social encounter with the word Aloha, ALOHA means love.

Mohandas Ghandi / Gandhi said upon being asked what his religion was, "The way I live my life, the things I do every day, this is my religion." May we all practice good religion.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  5. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    Translation: not like our culture-- which, as I've heard, apparently has all of our A-list celebrities selling garbage 24/7, state-run news without any pictures so you have to believe the interpretation they're giving you, and still insulting commercials but at least people are half-naked. Don't know what the weather coverage is like over there, because I'm an ignorant American.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I do believe that rowuk is an American who is just residing in Germany, whether he is an ignorant American or not --- well, he will surely tell you, YES, I am sure he will tell you!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

XJB -- I agree with you ---in that today, when I look around (if I compared myself to other players, or other venues, or whatever) then I would surely quit -- as I would NOT be able to compete --- but at this stage in life, I am only competing with myself -- and only on my own QUEST for high notes, low notes, and musicality that will satisfy my "apparent need" to make music with the trumpet. -- otherwise, one day I would wake up and just quit, because time is running out.!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    King Trumpet ... are you reading my mind? Such is about the same as my thoughts. now passing 75 1/2 years old, I perceive the reality that my "time is running out". I play only for myself ... if others want to listen sobeit as I really don't care if they do or not. Such was also so when I painted my artwork, then if someone wanted to buy what I painted sobeit.
    But borrowing from the graphic artist's perception that art is in the eye of the beholder, I would cast that music is in the ear of the listener.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Ed, yeah time runs out for all of us in this life. As long as YOU sound good to yourself, what does it really matter what people think? I once sat at a church where once a year they would have a "talent show". I suppose it was for all the people who otherwise felt uncomfortable to step up and do the worship service on Sunday. Anyways the show was at night, and EVERYONE was invited to participate. I remember a 5 year old girl, who actually sang beautifully, melted everyones hearts --- and then there was this one little old lady, who played the piano. She literally hobbled to the stage and the piano with the aid of her cane, her hands narled with arthritis, and everyone wondered. She played as I recall one of the most favorit hymns --"Amazing Grace" --- You know, she actually missed a few notes --- BUT the testimony in between those few missed notes, and the music of that song, the tears flowing down her face because this was the first time she played in public in many many years --------YEAH, that is the stuff that makes a SERIUOS impression on the audience, that is the testimony --- EVERYONE IS USEFUL, in any condition that they are --------AMAZING GRACE...................When we've been here ten thousand years...
    bright shining as the sun.
    We've no less days to sing God's praise...
    then when we've first begun.
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I suppose we play the trumpet -- if for no other reason, than someone, somewhere just might be inspired by you or me, or XJB

tedh1951 likes this.
  9. krusher

krusher New Friend

Dec 28, 2011
    NJ
    Here's my take:
    I play the trumpet because I enjoy it very much. I practice to be able to play more beautifully (in my opinion) - to reach the full potential of the talent that was given to me. If it sounds good to me, it will probably sound good to others. So ...
    I play in bands and concerts because it gives me pleasure to give others pleasure. I enjoy seeing the reactions that others have when the music I play touches them. I like to share my talents and enjoy the talents that others have and are willing to share with me.
    Music for me is very personal ... and yet it is also something that I feel needs to be shared. It's a wonderful dichotomy of sorts!