What About You???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Nov 22, 2011.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    It wasn't a suggestion that I don't have "soul" or "enough soul" to sing that material ...... It's more like the skinny white guy vocal chords sound like skinny white guy singers.:dontknow:

Hey, there's nothing wrong with that either ...... Frank Sinatra was a skinny white guy.:lol:

Turtle

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I never ask these questions. I know who I am, I know what I have earned and what I can offer. My goal is to play trumpet. If others like it, fine. Working on things that I can't do is natural. I do not need to think about motivation.

I think America needs to get off of this "self-realisation" thing. I think that we should simply GENERALLY learn to be the best that we can. To make our signature "quality"!

Waking up, looking in the mirror and thinking about what I could do better doesn't work. You have to know what is better when you are in the middle of it. Something about the best laid plans of mice and men....................

3. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I agree with Rowuk in that Americans tend to be self centered to an extent and want immediate satisfication. I feel it is enlightening for us to think more globally. Personally, when I get a song in my head, I want to play it my way and hope it is appealing to an audience as well. I either push to overcome my limitations on a piece or resolve to play it another way that is feasible for me. I always think of Chet Baker and his limitation due to his 1 front tooth. He just concentrated on the low ( or very low ) register to express himself and pulled it off in grand fashion. I don't strive to be the best trumpet player in the world, just the best around here for my style.

4. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Completely agree. Looks like you're in Germany rowuk so I'm guessing you don't watch alot of American TV, especially commercials. Every other commercial here has "it's all about you", "it's your world, do things your way", etc. Me, Me, Me. It's part and parcel of being good little consumers who dutifully purchase as much as possible. But I digress :)

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I agree too. Look at the popularity of American Idol. Even the name "American Idol" suggests idolizing stars and famous people, or that, by winning, you too could be idolized by millions. And, the very nature of the contest is geared towards "instant success".

The power of star attraction. Right ... back to the shed.

However, I wouldn't put it on Americans or America. It's human nature, IMO. And, let's not forget .... America is a very large place and is packed with great musicians, like no other. In the world of music, America is very very deep.

Turtle

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    and if you can't dream or wake up in the morning and ask yourself "can I be better?" then make definite plans and goals to actually be better -- then I guess you are ---------just in the middle of it all anyhow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Actually --- If I can sound like ME (aka kingtrumpet) - and perform at my very best that I am at that particular moment in time. (having prepared myself to the utmost of my abilities) --- and perform for an audience, or on a CD, or YOUTUBE, and INSPIRE someone in this big world to do something positive for themselves and the world - or at least their little part of the world (in music, or in whatever they do) --- then to me that is success.
    ps. also when the rest of you TM'rs and trumpet players --- and woodwind players want to convert to play trumpet --- and say WOW, DUDE, that is KINGTRUMPET --- and I want to be just like him, OH HE is playing on a KING SILVER FLAIR with an ASYMMETRIC mpc ---------that is what I must get to sound like him, OK this last part is not necessary, but when it happens ----- that will be ---- PRICELESS ROFL ROFL ROFL

8. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    What motivates me is the quest to get better. Looking to more experienced players that have already paid their dues is a good reference point. I know who I am. I know what I want to do and why. I don't want to play like anyone else these days. I want to play as well as my heroes while doing it in my own fashion. Right now I am in the stage of learning the basic vocabulary so that someday I can use my voice effectively. My voice is a very nice one on my good days. I am just looking to increase the frequency of the good days while learning the vocabulary. I want to play any style of music with anyone and belong. It is a lofty goal, but folks rarley get any where with wanting to be just okay at anything.

9. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    This is all in an effort for personal satisfaction. If I never make another dime playing, but do it at a level I am satisfied with I will be happy.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Thanks KT for driving Rowuk's point: "I think America needs to get off of this "self-realisation" thing," right on home with this post.