What About You???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    There are about five acres of second-growth evergreens I want to make parklike, about five acres I want to leave alone as a habitat for deer, and 20 acres I'd like to have seeded in pasture grass--more feed and cover for critters. I've had enough great performances to satisfy me, and experiences and knowledge to enough to give away, and hope to do that for a long time to come. I wish to continue harassing those whose political views are different from my own (not on TM, of course!) and do my little bit to make the world a better place.

Annoying Australians is a goal as well.

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    You don't annoy us VB - we take inspiration from your agricultural aims. Perhaps you should seek out an Australian Aborigine - them fellas are very talented at grooming land with a series of controlled burns and would be pretty much guaranteed to achieve your desires on your landholding. Mind you, they may wish to seek out the 'roo, wallaby, snake, goanna, crab, and witchety on your property for their tucker.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I was just back in the states last week for a trade show. I think TV there is SICKENING. Plastic people selling garbage 24/7, pseudo news with a lot of pictures and ignorant commentary 24/7, insulting commercials 24/7, superhero soaps 24/7, very little culture, very little useful info except for the weather. This is not the land of the free and home of the brave, it is electronic lobotomy!

Even more reason to practice more with the tube OFF!

King: if we live our dreams, the mirror in the morning is pretty insignificant.

4. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    We agree with the sad state of TV, "general". My wife and I made the decision to cancel our cable. There is an old tube TV in the our basement for watching selected DVDs, if and when we have the time. In this point, I agree with Rowuk.

However, I disagree with the assessment of American culture and mindset. Judging cultures and people by what you see on TV and movies is a huge mistake and not very well-informed. Most "popular" TV and movies cater to the lowest common denomenator of every culture. I have travelled extensively and seen trashy, even horrific TV across Europe, Africa, and Asia. God forbide I judge their cultures and peoples by what I see on their "boob tube".

I am not fond of American-bashing and stereo-typing.

When you travel, don't sit in a hotel room and watch TV. Travel the countryside and "do" things and "meet" people, then you will have a more representative sample of a culture. There idiots everywhere, wonderful people everywhere.

BrotherBACH

5. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    However, I disagree with the assessment of American culture and mindset. Judging cultures and people by what you see on TV and movies is a huge mistake and not very well-informed. Most "popular" TV and movies cater to the lowest common denomenator of every culture. I have travelled extensively and seen trashy, even horrific TV across Europe, Africa, and Asia. God forbide I judge their cultures and peoples by what I see on their "boob tube".

I am not fond of American-bashing and stereo-typing.

When you travel, don't sit in a hotel room and watch TV. Travel the countryside and "do" things and "meet" people, then you will have a more representative sample of a culture. There idiots everywhere, wonderful people everywhere.

BrotherBACH[/QUOTE]

AMEN. I agree with the portion I quoted 100%. Judge not, lest you be judged.

6. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Having the ability and opportunity to sit in with the great Brass Band of Battle Creek with some trumpet and cornet greats and the rest of the fantastic musicians. Concerts on 12/2/+3 at Kellogg Auditorium, BC. Always a treat and fun, especially since Sarah Ionnaides is conducting this year. Her hubby, Scott Hartman plays ist trombone and is a real nice guy. We have been going many years and have always been "blown away".:lol:
    My Facebook buddy Steven Mead will also be there and lighting it up on Euphonium.

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

American TV can be a shock when you haven't seen it for a while. TV was better when Doc was on the Tonight Show.:-(

American TV is not worth watching. Stopped watching it years ago. I can't say that European TV was very interesting, when I was visiting last.:dontknow:

American movies out of Hollywood are no longer worth watching, unless you are comic book superhero fan (I was at age 12). Hollywood has put itself into the toilet and forced people like me to turn to renting television series disks. Some of the best writing now is in television .... I can no longer stomach Hollywood movies, they're so demented. For the kind of great writing that we USED TO SEE IN MOVIES, check out shows like, "Breaking Bad" and "The Wire."

But, the regulare TV fare .......... mindless drivel IMO. Go see some live music!

Turtle

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    AMEN. I agree with the portion I quoted 100%. Judge not, lest you be judged.[/QUOTE]

In my persoanl experience living in Erurope ..... Europeans don't have a CLUE about what Americans are like, based on what they see on American television. Europeans are often saying, "You Americans are all ........." (fill in the blank). WRONG. Always wrong. If you want to know what Americans are like ..... VISIT AMERICA.

The kind of blanket assessment of European countries don't work here. Germans have little or no sense of humor, but their trains run on time. The British have a great sense of humor but they can't cook. The Dutch think very highly of themselves and nobody else. Anything a French chef cooks is going to taste great (even snails :-o). Those sorts of assessments are fine for European countries ... they don't work in America because it's TOO BIG AND TOO DIVERSE.

Turtle

9. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    1. In order to know what Americans are like, everyday I visit … TrumpetMaster.com ROFL
    2. Please do not judge French people from what you see on television, especially if it's French television (a pity !) :-(
    3. Look at my "number of posts" on the left, today I am EVIL ! :evil:

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    :lol:

Amen. No country should ever be judged by their TV output.:roll:

I still say TV was better when Doc was on nearly every night. What TV needs, globally, is MORE TRUMPETS.

Turtle