What About You???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Nov 22, 2011.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I mean a country that produces Dizzy, Miles, Lee Morgan, Kenny Durham, Al Hirt, Wynton, Chris Botti... has to be doing something right!

My country is of thee;
    Sweet land of liberty;
    of this I sing.

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

"You Americans are all a bunch of loud, brassy self-realization junkies, obssessed with mouthpieces and high notes."

Finally, someone gets it right! :lol:ROFL

Turtle

3. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I wish that I could conquer my nerves and increase my endurance. It seems that the older I get the more I suffer from stage fright. I guess I'm my own worse enemy because I put to much pressure on myself. For about 10 yrs in the late 80s to the late 90s I enjoyed taking solos but now I dread them.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    BB,
    I am an American. I was with family during my trip and spent most of my time "not" in the hotel room. I commented on the state of TV that I experienced. Little redeeming social value.

Funny thing is, if I look at the cross section of questions here at TM or discussions with the players and teachers in the know, we have to accept the fact that what goes around comes around. How many posts here ask for superhero embouchures, mouthpieces or instruments? How many complaints do we read about the poor attention span of children? How much obesity is present in the classroom today? We do not even want to get into internationally accepted testing scores. At least there are a couple of comedians here too.

Want to know how many Americans are getting trumpet jobs in Europe these days? Want to check up how many foreigners are getting orchestra jobs these days in the US?

What I find even more disturbing is the immediate lash out called "America Bashing". Hellooooooo. There are REAL problems in America and it does not take much common sense to realize that the trumpet part of that suffers as much as the rest. I will not get into the politics of it. I just have a very direct approach to what works and what does not. Electronically drugged players will not succeed, we had a thread on leaving the TV on during practice. Hmmm. I often find it more useful to look in the mirror when comments about quality show up.

You writing off my experience needs more reflection on your part. We do get used to our environments after a while.............

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I don't watch tv either (no cable in the country where I live, and the American Govt. took my free analog signals away years ago, and so I refuse to convert to the mandated digital TV.)
    I thought French women were always beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    America is very diversified -- I don't think anyone can get the "big picture" of America unless they have lived in different parts of the country. The South is different than the North and the LEFT coast is way different than the RIGHT (East) coast. AND I think if we imported some Aussies, then some of us natives who speak English could actually have half a chance of understanding what "foreigners" are talking about. ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

6. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    So THEY think, yes ! But all MY girlfriends are, sure.
    Notice that a well known Frenchman went for his wife to ... Italy! :roll:

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    YOU can't confuse me -- French, Italian, Portugese, Greek --- any of the Mediterranean women with those romance languages, and that dark, sexy look, and beyond that we Americans stereotype all of those women in the most important aspect of life -- THEY ARE ALL GREAT COOKS!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

+1.

For a culinary experience like no other, and a chance to meet a lot of very friendly people, go for a canal boat ride through France ....... (I did this with my Dad in a sailboat) ....... Every little town, every tiny family run restaurant, every meal, incredible. You want to take them home with you but the boat is only so big.:lol:

Turtle

9. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Rowuk,

I have the greatest respect for both your experiences and advice. I have benefited from both a great deal here on TM. I even applaude your direct approach. As an American living here in Canada (dual tax-paying citzen of both countries), I hear negative things about the US all the time and perhaps my skin is a bit thin on the subject. So, I apologize for that part.

Then, lets perhaps let us look at other potential causes. For example, you say that the European musicians are getting most of the jobs. Could it be that Europe has a better development program with respect to music, or places greater value on music education. I know that it is the first place school boards tend to cut. So, perhaps this aspect is on the decline, rather than the cultural influences.

BrotherBACH

10. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC

I didn't start this post to discuss the issues of our country. I started it to discuss the trumpet and why we love to play in spite of the challenges it presents. I rarely watch television and spend most of my time not set aside for my kids concentrating on music and finding places to play. The times spent on TM is when my wife is sleeping. She works 3rd shift too. Trumpet is my escape. Please stop dragging me back to the issues that I work to keep away from my family. The best way to combat these issues is for you and your family to be the change that needs to happen. Keep them active in sports and the arts while exposing them to as much culture as possible. That allows them to decide what path they will take. That is what I try to do.