What About You???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Nov 22, 2011.

1. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    xbj0906,

Fair enough. We did get very side-tracked. Not sure how or why but I am guilty as charged. It is funny how these internet discussions can really turn on a dime. This gets back to my original post on this thread. The first trumpet in our community band who is 80+ suddenly said that he could not do it anymore. The only people who showed up last night were two second trumpet and two third trumpets. The my fellow third trumpet was asked to jump into the first chair with one of the second trumpets. So, from now on, there is two first trumpets who trade-off parts, one second trumpet, and one third trumpet (me). I really leaned on the other third trumpet and there was no where to hide. It was a long night. But, I know that is probably the best thing that can happen. It will really force me to develop.

BrotherBACH

2. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    I play for my own enjoyment and the enjoyment of others. My personal "hero" is Bud Herseth and has been since I first heard him at age 7 in 1958. I cannot play like him and never will, but I can take his ideals with me.
    Rowuk is very correct on his assessment of this country and where it has gone in the last 15 or 20 years. This very website is a microcosm of this society. We have people with limited ability, experience, and knowledge passing themselves as pedagogues spouting their wisdom as if it was the true and only word while those of us who do have the ability, experiences, and learning under fire can only read in amazement at the tripe being distributed.
    Cynical? You bet.
    Rich T.

3. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    I want to play what I hear in my head (without the voices, of course). I don't want to play like someone else, but I don't want avoid influences from other musicians.

And I want to wake up tomorrow....

4. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    What's the advantage of a trumpet over a wife? -

The trumpet can't sue for divorce...

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I would like to play as well as I can - but I don't wish to abandon my support of the beer economy in the process. ;-) So I guess I'll only be able to play almost as well as I can?

6. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    I'll have a Tooheys Old, its your shout Ted.

Regards, Stuart.

7. Conn-solation

Conn-solation Pianissimo User

Jan 22, 2011
    On my way to Bearberry Ab
    right now my 'die happy place' would be to sight read better and to read the rhythm and keep up with the beat better in band practice. No matter how much I have practiced during the week I get flustered when with the whole group....

So far as personal practice goes, I want to build my embouchure to where there are no gaps and improving the precision of my tongueing. I am making progress on the embouchure part because tonite I was able, for the first time since picking up practice again, to produce peddle tones down to the low D....C# and C here I come... And that also has helped the tongueing because of the better air/diaphram support ..

Thanks for this forum and to the regular posters for providing encouragement to us who lurk more than post.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    whew... for a minute there I was having flash backs of High School Algebra and thought I walked right into the middle of a word problem.
    " A man has 5 acres he wants to make into second-growth evergreens, 5 acres he wants to make parklike ..... if he can do 1 acre per day and .... then how long will it take..." YIKES

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Wow... what a great thread .... sometimes I think these wind up like a conversation people have sitting at a bar having a beer. Someone says something that fires a synapse in someones brain and off we go... and I mean WE go. Important things that we deal with and get frustrated about. I get frustrated feeling like George Orwel was right .... then I pick up my trumpet... wait I already have it in my hand. I look it over, maybe grab a rag and rub it down... chat with my wife and go sit down to work on some warm ups and other exercise. I rarely have any performances but I love playing the thing. Maybe working on the double tonguing and interval jumps that I may or may not play for anyone but my wife and myself ... I just do it. So my goals are just the task at hand. I don't have anything subdivided into long term or short term goals.. but I do know it feels pretty good playing my trumpet.

10. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Us Aussies are a pretty laid back lot and not easily annoyed, should we include VB in the school Ted? its his shout.