What About You???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Nov 22, 2011.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Sorry. I happen to think that they are related. BUT to get back on your idea of the path:

Pull the plug on TV and get the kids to practice
    Lack of focus on the truly beautiful is a huge tragedy only solvable by giving our kids the tools and attitude.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    to be honest xjb -- I am NOT always sure why I play the trumpet. Since I quit once for nearly a decade (well apparently there is no guarantee that someday I won't just pick up the horn and say --"I'm done") --- I don't envision that happening at the moment, because 3 years into a comeback, I have experienced problems with my bodies aging process, BUT I have been consistently improving --------and quite frankly I am a better trumpet player than I ever was before I quit.
    I think "at this moment" -- I am playing to realize a "dream" of being able to pick up the horn any given day -- and have the sound consistent, and the horn feel like an extension of me.
    SIMPLY MEANING -- I want my own sound, I want it to flow, and I want to "feel" the music ---I also WANT the audience to "see" me making the horn look and sound like I have always played it. SO in reality of "WHY DO I PLAY"?? --- I think it is in pursuit of the ORIGINAL DREAM, when I started the horn in fifth grade ----------- to "be that guy" that people are inspired by, to "be that guy" who makes the horn SING and "to be that guy" who can play the trumpet, (not just hammer out musical notes - but the "guy" who can PLAY)

3. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    I was actually talking about this the other day. I would like to play well enough that people would be willing to pay to hear me! It's not really about the money, but a validation that i'm playing at a professional level. I don't think Chris Botti, Wynton, etc have anything to worry about with me, but I would love to be able to play in some small clubs, weddings etc. and have fun, but know I'm playing at "that" level.

Trax

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Hmmm Stuart, you know the rules, 3 beers for your shout, 3 for mine, and three for VB - it's unbalanced - you need an even number 'cos you can't fly on one wing - perhaps a random viola player to help VB (and to buy another round).

5. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    For information, got a picture of VB :

[​IMG]

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    wow, a 6 string viola

7. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    AH, that's when girls were girls and men were men!! right guys?ROFL

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    those were the days that the brass players did not cause devastation in the string section. It was more like blow in my ear and I'll follow you anywhere. Violastalking is a 20th century invention. VB is not as old as he professes.......

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Funny .... I always pictured VB as a kind of flying esoteric angel/wraith ..... And here he is with one of his viola students.:dontknow:

After listening to students on a scratchy instrument without frets (what, they couldn't afford frets?) he's developed some deep rooted feelings about violists. When they're just learning (look at that bow hand:roll:), they can't hit their notes ..... it's all flat and sharp and scratchy and :woop: enough to drive you nuts!!! Now, he's getting back at them from the back row.:lol:

Turtle

10. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Why do brass players (trumpets in particular) have such a bad reputation for chasing girls? I have seen and heard jokes about this quite frequently. Since I never played as a single man, I guess will never know if it is urban legend. :dontknow: :-)

Did VB have 101 children??