What age did you start playing trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Apr 22, 2009.

1. YoJoon

YoJoon New Friend

Sep 29, 2009
    I started at age 12 with a Bach Strad 180S37 that my dad had when he was in University or something. I was lucky to start on a good horn. Haha. I'm still playing trumpet at age 14 with the same trumpet, first chair for the bands at my high school. Fairly tough competition considering that my school has the regional arts program that we're "renowned" for.

2. tptshark

tptshark Pianissimo User

Jun 4, 2005
    Hong Kong
    started at age 6 on cornet (a Reynolds) and switched to trumpet (an Olds Mendez) at age 9...

3. trumpetman1989

trumpetman1989 New Friend

Oct 6, 2009
    Eugene, OR 97404
    Oh man, I started when I was 10 in Elementary School. It was a student model Bach which got trashed by the students in Jr. High so I bought me a Yamaha Xeno my Freshman year of High School and I've been playing that Yamaha ever since.

4. dpa10

dpa10 New Friend

Sep 15, 2009
    About 5 weeks ago on my 52nd birthday.
    When your wife and daughter give you a gift, pretend to love it until you do.:-o

I quickly fell in love with the trumpet.
    Second instrument after the guitar for me.
    More intuitive instrument for me.
    I tell my body to make a sound and it comes out the end of the horn.
    Very cool.

5. brassbro

brassbro New Friend

Sep 23, 2009
    New Zealand
    Started at 10 years old on a Boosey and HawkeThen stopped at 16

Played Bass guitar from 21-31 (now) and still play.

Started on trumpet again about 2 months ago. Loving being back.

6. Phillip 51

Phillip 51 New Friend

Oct 7, 2009
    started two weeks ago!
    working on basic chops and stuff, learned to read basic music overnight haha (concert season is coming up fast!)
    my range is up to the e in f-a-c-e (i know it has a more technical term, e6? something like that haha)

very excited about trumpet i love it! been playing till 1 in the morning every night since i started, busted my lip playing high notes tonight haha, its all puffy and purple (gross!)

i'm 16, 11th grade at my high school in Mississippi, and i have a Jupiter something... not sure of the exact horn..

7. tony h

tony h Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2008
    Started at age 10 stoped age 20 , started again age 40 , now 43 and still trying.

8. dadttrumpet

dadttrumpet New Friend

Oct 8, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Hi all,

I started playing at the age of 9 on an Olds Recording cornet that my Dad got for me. My Dad was a high school; band director and trumpet player.

9. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    I started at age 8 in third grade on a King Cleveland trumpet. I am now 53. The longest stretch of time that I have been without a trumpet is 10 days(I had a mouthpiece, though). Talk about going through withdrawl!

10. Raw_Brass_Kicks

Raw_Brass_Kicks New Friend

Aug 21, 2009
    I started at age age 14 in the eighth grade with a yamaha intermediate horn i named "Dolly". I am now almost 17 and currently play on a cannonball 789RL Bavarion Lion.